BritRail or Rent a Car

Search

BritRail or Rent a Car

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BritRail or Rent a Car

In May we (2 adults) will be coming from a week in Ireland by ferry to Wales. We're not sure where we want to go anywhere from 4 to 6 days before going on to London for 4 days. Possibly as far as Scotland. Weather could determine!<BR><BR>We've had experience in the past with Eurail passes and loved the flexibility as well as the destress of driving etc.<BR><BR>Any comments on a BritRail vs Car? And should I get the 8 day pass for only $120 more? We'd like to get the first class pass. I am thinking then we could use it for day passes as well as getting to the airport. Also, would the railpass work on the London tubes?<BR>Thanks for any help with this - our departure is approaching! Susan
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 04:36 PM
vcl

I'm a great believer in the British Rail system so I'd say go for it. The first class flex pass may be all you need, since you cannot use the pass on the London Transit system. You didn't say where in Wales you'll be landing so I can't offer any suggestions for an itinerary.<BR>Whatever you decide, have a great trip.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:49 PM

First class is, IMHO, not necessary, unless you know that you will be making lots of long-distance trips where the difference between first and second class is more marked than on trains that are only mid-distance. (Short distance trains do not generally have a first class cabin, although they do on commuter routes from London to the suburbs.) <BR>True, with first class on the long-haul routes, you do get more space and larger seats etc, but if you are travelling out of rush hours anyway, 2nd class should be fine. <BR>Keep your luggage to a minimum anyway, and the trip will be easier. <BR>www.railtrack.co.uk has timetables.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 04:30 PM

Driving, if the prospect does not throw you, provides more flexibility in where you go (and when) than the train. Yes, the British rail system is extensive, but it does not go everywhere and it sounds like you may want to keep all your itenerary options open. <BR><BR>FYI: The Britrail passes do not apply to London Underground. There are several passes available for the underground, or you may choose to buy daily passes or tickets.<BR><BR>David White<BR>[email protected]
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Several years ago we spent a month in the UK. We got a combination Britrail/rental car pass. It was the best of both worlds. We rode trains until we got to an area where the train schedule wasn't so good and then picked up a car at the station. You needed to plan because we had to reserve the car before we left home and not all stations had the car rental option but it was great. Don't know if that is still avilable, but if it is, look into it. Have a great trip. CJ
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input, we are getting a BritRail and &quot;wing&quot; it through Wales, England and maybe Scotland - can't wait, less than 4 weeks to go! Thanks again.