I am travelling to the United Kingdom for a couple of weeks next month and it will be my first time in the UK(I am from Australia).
I was hoping to get some advice from anyone from the UK or anyone who has experience with the UK train network.
I will be doing a lot of travelling by train to get in and out of major cities in England, Scotland and Wales on my holiday so was looking at the easiest and cheapest way of doing this. My options are either to buy all my tickets in advance, to hopefully get the cheapest price, this has downsides as my itinerary isn't set and it could lead to me missing trains and possibly having to pay for replacements, also I will be travelling through several cities, which adds up a lot of train tickets that I have to worry about not losing.
My other option is to buy a Britrail flexi pass(http://www.visitbritainshop.com/australia/travel-transport/rail-tickets/product/britrail-gb-flexi-pass.html#tab1) which is quite expensive($479AUD for 8 days) but will allow me unlimited travel for 8 days on trains around the UK.
I was wondering if anyone has used the Britrail pass, is it worth buying? Also if I go with this option I won't be buying tickets in advance, so do you think I will still be able to get a seat on the train?
I have worked it out and overall it seems to be cheaper for me to buy the individual tickets(online and in advance) but I am thinking that taking into consideration the convenience of not having to buy advance tickets and to avoid missing trains, the Britrail pass might be worth slightly extra money?
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 2 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 3 CACHOPO, CABRALES & CARBAYONES Asturias..and "The Best Steak in The World"
- 4 My France Vacation
- 5 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 6 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 7 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 8 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 9 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 10 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 11 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
- 12 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 13 Best Greek Island
- 14 Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question
- 15 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 16 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 17 Scooter/quad/bike rental on Greek Islands
- 18 Malaga Christmas lights
- 19 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 20 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 21 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 22 Mediterranean princess cruise
- 23 Copenhagen, Stockholm & Bergen April 2018
- 24 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 25 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
Britrail Flexi pass or book trains ahead? - United Kingdom