Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   British Rail and first class? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/british-rail-and-first-class-579979/)

horseynurse Jan 8th, 2006 06:00 PM

British Rail and first class?

Friends are going to use British Rail to travel around Scotland while they are there this summer. They are wondering if the upgrade to first class on the 14 day ticket is worth the extra money. Somewhere they read that the windows are bigger in first class?!?!? I don't remember that from when I was in Scotland 7 years ago, but that was a while ago. Please help a novice poster help her friends!

henneth Jan 8th, 2006 06:39 PM

No, the windows are not bigger in First Class. Scotrail used to have an observation car on its Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh route for First Class passengers but that has long since gone. The only guarentee with First Class is that you'll get a seat and not be standing up for the entire journey.
By the way British Rail ceased to exist a long time ago. A number of independent companies operate most services on scenic lines in Scotland. Some of these trains do not even offer a First Class section. Standard Class only.

vcl Jan 8th, 2006 06:54 PM

The advantages of First Class, in addition to a guaranteed seat and more room, include the use of First Class waiting rooms in larger stations. These are a really nice perk.

janisj Jan 8th, 2006 10:44 PM

How many train trips are they planning? And how many long haul ones? For many visitors, BritRail Passes really don't make sense. Just buying point to point tickets can be cheaper.

So before they fork over the big bucks for BritRail they should figure the costs for individual trips.

flanneruk Jan 8th, 2006 11:14 PM

First Class doesn't guarantee you a seat. If First is full, try turfing a Standard class seatholder out of their seat and see what happens. If you think the reaction isn't exciting enough, try telling them that, as a first class passenger, you're "entitled".

Reservations sort of guarantee a seat (unless the carrier is part of the Virgin group, who can't be bothered honouring reservations if they don't feel like it). But you can reserve long-distance trains in any class, and can't reserve short-distance ones at all.

All First Class does is make it slightly more likely you'll get a seat, most of the time (though on some longish-distance business routes, the opposite may be the case at peak times). There's more (and more comfortable) room, you sometimes get some free drinks and nibbles and on better trains, the seats are better configured for working.

There are VERY few - if any - first class lounges in Scotland.

FWIW, First might be worthwhile on the trip from London to Scotland if it's someone else's money or you're travelling over Christmas/Hogmanay. Otherwise, fuggedaboutit and spend the extra on a nicer hotel.

GeoffHamer Jan 9th, 2006 01:33 AM

There are some passes that just cover Scotland and might be better than a Britrail pass. These can be bought in Scotland, and cover some buses and ferries as well. As others have said, there is little advantage in first class.
http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/c...017&ms=sub

horseynurse Jan 9th, 2006 03:33 AM

Thanks for the advice, you are all confirming what I remember. My friend has never been overseas before so I think she is believing every travel guide she reads (did she get the Fodor's that I recommended? No). So I am trying to help her along. My last trip was to Germany, Austria, and the Czec Republic, so I am having a hard time remembering the specifics about traveling in Scotland. I guess I will just have to go for a return trip!

rogerdodger Jan 9th, 2006 07:39 AM

My two cents. I agree with most of the above statements. If only using the pass in Scotland it most likey isn't worth it. However, if you are using the pass from London up to either Glasgow or Edinburgh and then plan a return it just might make sense to purchase a britrail pass. I have done many rail trips and this pass November I did an 8 day one and for the first time with a 1st class pass. I thought it was great, but I did get both a senior and off season discount making my daily cost only $37. You can do cheaper, but Ilike the idea of getting on any train at any time.