British Ho-Hum: Lawnmover Museum!

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
British Ho-Hum: Lawnmover Museum!

Watching Coronation Street recently (about a year's delay on CBC) nerdy Norris, left by himself and others were dashing off to Blackpool, the Peaks, etc. had compiled a list of possible things to do. Someone snatched it from him and read off "Southport - British Lawnmower Museum and Cumbria Pencil Museum" followed of course by giggles and snickers.

Well i had been to the Pencil Museum which is one of the low lights of the Lake District but not all that bad.

But Southport Lawnmower Museum - this had to be a joke (or a 'grass up' if i'm using the British term right)! I had stayed in Southport recently and didn't notice any such museum. But a Google search (below) lo and behold described not only such a museum but actually makes me want to go see it.

Apparently it attracts 'lawnmower enthusiasts from all over the world' (never realized there were any - do they wear anoraks?) and has such beasts as the famous 'Egg Bolier' mower and some of the world 'fastest' mowers.

And you can see the mowers of celebs like Prince Chas and Princess Di (I bet those two never came close to their mowers!) Charles probably even eschews mowers in favor of sheep.

The two sites cited below actually make this place sound novel and intriguing.

So bring earplugs - has anyone actually visited this place, right by the Southport train station?

British Lawnmower MuseumThe British Lawnmower Museum is a short walk away from Southport station, with connections to all of Merseyside. Bus numbers 42 and 43 also stop near to the ...
www.lawnmowerworld.co.uk/ - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

British Lawnmower Museum - Resort Attractions - Visit SouthportAn award winning unique museum of over 300 rare restored exhibits of the garden machinery....
http://www.visitsouthport.com/site/r...-museum-p54963
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

so noone has been to this 'cutting edge' museum?
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM

http://www.alma-lawn.com/
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:16 AM

How about Lawn Mower parades in Florida!
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Sue - yes Aussies were one of the group of lawnmower 'enthusiasts' who flock to Southport.

didn't know they had any lawns to mow down under - isn't it all desert? How to you mow plastic grass?
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM

Pal, the fact that you are from "The Motor City" obviously did not provide you with the means to truly appreciate the subtle differences between a Toro and a John Deere.

As to the Australians and their mowing habits...I think they don;t mow anything because it wouldn't seem rebelious enough.

My concerns about plastic grass aren't as troublesome as the worries about pulling our plastic dandelions....now THAT is a challenge.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

coach K - i grew up in a Motown suburb but have moved on - far away and have lost those Motown roots i guess and have just lost 'that lovin feeling' for things motorized
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM

Do I take it neither Dukey nor Pal Q have made it to the Land of the Criminals' Spawn?

Because nowhere in the known universe - seriously, nowhere - is as resolutely dedicated to constructing, on a more generous scale, a clone of a London suburb. Or - at any rate back in the days when they still had occasional rainfall - to tending their lawns as if they were still in Surbiton or Esher. Or rather as if their recidivist grandparents had ever got near a suburb: Irish village to transportation colony in a generation was a more normal life story.

Yes those model suburbs are universally inhabited by couples who sowed a good hectare or thirty of wild oats during their OE. But now they're back from Earls Court, they'd normally be hoeing and deadheading as enthusiastically as any Gloucestershire matron off to Chelsea this week.

If the country hadn't selflessly decided to show us what life under desertification is going to be like.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

exactly why Red Ken is encouraging 'dry gardens'

no never been to Oz or Land of the Criminals' Spawn.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM

Flanner is absolutely right. You can use Google Earth to enjoy the pristine green cul-de-sacs of the outer Melbourne suburbs; they're kind of cute in their way. Best appreciated from satellite distance, though.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

so i get it - lawnmowers in Oz have no blades? But just for the experience?