Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   British arilines and carry-on bags in flights in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/british-arilines-and-carry-on-bags-in-flights-in-europe-200369/)

Carry On Bags Oct 29th, 2001 07:56 AM

British arilines and carry-on bags in flights in Europe

I am thinking about connecting in London to a flight elsewhere in Europe, using either British Airways, British Midland or one of the discount airlines. What are British Airways, British Midland, or any other British airlines limits for carry-on bags for flights within Europe? Will they ask me to check-in my only carry-on, a 22 X 14 X 10 bag (that may weigh more than 20 pounds)?

Rex Oct 29th, 2001 08:11 AM

Chances are they will. There have been message threads on this forum before - - and my own experience was the same - - about BA enforcing fairly strictly its FIVE kg limit (eleven pounds) for carry-on bags. The dimensions don't seem to be the problem. Almost impossible to do a trip solely with carry-in with this stringent limit. It was not enforced on me when I ha d a flight from Paris to London on Air Liberté (a BA subsidiary), but it WAS most definitely for the flight to get TO Europe (JFK to London). Before the new secrity rules I had some ideas about possibly beating the system, but I don't think I would try them now. <BR> <BR>Sorry to be the bearer of news that isn't what you wanted to hear. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

AnnaC Oct 29th, 2001 08:13 AM

British Airways are pretty strict about carry on luggage. I can't remember off the top of my head what the dimension limits are but they are very strict on the weight limit - 6kg (13.2 pounds). If you are very lucky, they won't weigh your bag if it looks quite small, but you would definitely be taking a risk. <BR> <BR>I have no experience of British Midland, but would expect that they are similarly strict. <BR> <BR>The discount airlines I think are even more strict about it - I've certainly always had my bag weighed on Go.

claire Oct 30th, 2001 05:22 AM

We took Ryanair to/from London's Stansted - Ancona, Italy. They ALWAYS weighed the bags. At the London end, we observed them being very strict about weight limits. They will combine on the scales the luggage of two people travelling together, so you might get a break that way. We travelled a few weeks before Sept. 11, so I can only assume it is even more strict now. Note that Ryanair also quoted a slightly different dimension requirement for carry ons. For us, it was a blessing in disguise as we adhered to the rules and were glad later as we schlepped our stuff on & off Italian trains.

Joanne Oct 30th, 2001 05:28 AM

Could someone please help me understand why some airlines limit carry-ons by weight rather than by size? It's not as if the total weight of the plane would be affected; whatever you don't carry on will go in your checked stuff.

sylvia Oct 30th, 2001 07:26 AM

Easyjet are also pretty strict. They have a scale and frame by the checkout and your hand luggage has to conform to their standards. <BR> <BR>This is from their website: <BR> <BR>Each passenger is usually permitted one standard piece of hand baggage to a maximum weight of 5kgs, dimensions 45x35x20cm, and one piece of standard checked-in hold baggage to a maximum weight of 25kgs. <BR> <BR>In addition, passengers may carry onboard a handbag, clutchbag, coats, umbrellas, duty-free goods, laptop computers, and small items of camera equipment

AnnaC Oct 30th, 2001 08:14 AM

Joanne - the weight limit is nothing to do with the total weight of the plane, but for safety reasons. Since most carry on bags are stored in the overhead lockers, and have been known to fall out and land on people's heads, there are good reasons for not allowing heavy bags to be taken on the plane.

Rex Oct 30th, 2001 08:25 AM

It seems rather bogus to impose a weight limit as stringent as 5 or 6 kg for carry-ons, based on the risk of falling from an overhead compartment. You can subsequently buy a TON of items in the duty free shop and carry them in a shopping bag and pose a much greater risk. A bottle of champagne might only weigh 1 or 2 kg, but if it is rolling around loose in the overhead compartment it could be a substantial "falling object". <BR> <BR>Not allowing a NORMAL size roll-aboard (21 x 12 x 9 inches, for example) at a NORMAL weight of 10-12 kg (22-26 pounds) is simply bad business, in my opinion - - and I would stand on the side of anyone that chooses to avoid BA or other trans-atlantic carriers because of this policy that is WAY too strict. <BR>

elvira Oct 30th, 2001 12:43 PM

An experience to take into consideration: I had a small carryon that BA didn't bother to weigh BUT the flight attendant confiscated it as I boarded! Don't get me started on how he let a pretty French girl get on with a giant rollon and two small totebags...

Paul Oct 30th, 2001 02:21 PM

The British Airways web site will give you the exact info you need. Carry on limits will vary by the class you are flying. The limits are different in Europe vs over the Atlantic. Go to their "site" index and you'll find the topic.

George Oct 31st, 2001 02:02 AM

Please Rex, avoid BA. You'll be doing us all a favor.

*** Oct 31st, 2001 03:50 AM

Can you take a step back and think about this question! You shouldn't even be thinking about trying to get a 20 pound bag into the flight cabin! Airlines are asking us all - yes that includes even the idiots amongst us - to keep cabin baggage to a minimum. <BR> <BR>Get over it and just do it! <BR>

small Oct 31st, 2001 08:31 AM

What I's like to know is, why don't they weigh the passenger with their luggage? That way, the slimmer amongst us get to take more luggage.

smaller people get to Oct 31st, 2001 08:54 AM

Can't imagine how this would work. <BR> <BR>A 160 pound person gets to carry on 10 pounds? <BR> <BR>Ally McBeal gets to carry on 70 pounds? <BR> <BR>A 40 pound five year old gets to carry 130 pounds? <BR> <BR>Better factor how much a person can bench press into this equation! <BR>

Steve Nov 2nd, 2001 02:42 PM

Flew BA from Nice to LHR on 10/22. 6 Kilos limit in economy and pretty strict. <BR>The also diverted us to Stanstead for 5 hours 9no food no air conditioning)as they didn't have enough fuel to join the queue at LHR. This is my second concecutive bad experience with BA. I will NEVER st foot on BA again.

Mills Nov 2nd, 2001 06:17 PM

<BR>We have just returned,Nov 1st, from an eighteen day trip on BA,to London and on to Stuttgart.For the last several years we had been using AA twice a year to collect mileage points.The deal we got with BA was too good to pass up however, with a$100.00 voucher each on a hotel stay in London.An unexpected emergency at the airport before we left meant flying the next day.The BA checkin staff could not have been more concerned and very helpful.On our return to the airport we were greeted with hugs and even upgraded. We had absolutely NO problems with carryon luggage,regulation sized, and our bags were never weighed the whole trip.The security was tight as it has been for years,even more so in Frankfurt,(three security checks!) Incidently the flights were full of Americans going and returning.The media as usual are wrong about US citizens being afraid to travel.BA was a delight to travel on and the carryon luggage was no trouble.