Search

Melk stop-off?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melk stop-off?

Travelling from Cesky Krumlov to Vienna via Linz. Thought that Melk, Austria looked like a place I didn't want to miss. Is it possible to sight-see the old town and abbey if I got off the train for about 3 hours, or would I just be rushing around - like Chevy Chase visiting the Grand Canyon in "Vacation" - in order to catch the next direct train and get to Vienna before the T.I. closes for the night?
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:35 AM

LOL, rdfarr, nobody can claim you don't have a sense of humour.

According to bahn.de a journey from Cesky Krumlov leaving 08:14 would, if routed through Melk, not arrive in Vienna until almost 9 hours later, at 17:00. You wouldn't actually arrive in Melk until 15:40. That leaves you with barely an hour or two until the abbey closes, let alone three hours.

You can speed it up if you forget Melk and take the IC from Linz to Vienna - that journey takes only (!) 6.5 hours.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:50 AM
ira

Hi rd,

Why not take the train up to Melk after you have settled in in Vienna?
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:14 AM

Rdfarr's post caught my eye because we will be driving from Berchtesgaden to Vienna and want to stop in Melk to see the abbey. How much time to we need to see the abbey, wander through the town and grab lunch (keeping in mine that with 2 teens we don't linger)?
Thanks.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Sue,
Here is how I have it figured: (with help from other Fodorites, and the train schedules)
I can catch either a bus or taxi in C-Krumlov to nearby Kaplice. By rail from Kaplice leaving at 12:26 (the very best connection, travel time wise), I can be in Melk by 3:40. Three hours later I can catch one of the many trains to Vienna that take just over an hour of travel time. That still puts me in Vienna after 8:00 pm, and probably no T.I. to help with a local room. I could work around the room problem, but is 3 hours just too little time to do any justice to Melk?
I know I could take a day trip out of Vienna to Melk, but I hate to retrace the route I just took, and at an additional cost of lost travel time.
Thanks
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:55 AM
ira

>...is 3 hours just too little time to do any justice to Melk?<

A bit rushed, but not a waste of time.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:15 AM

Another recommendation to see Melk. I very much enjoyed the interiors and the views over the river.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:32 AM

Nothing like seeing those glowing walls on the abbey as the sinking sun strikes them before sunset.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:35 AM
MaureenB

We were in Melk in June with our two teens. We used the combi-ticket round-trip from Vienna, so a different travel scenario, but I think three hours would just about do it in Melk, if you're careful. I wouldn't want less time than that, though. The monastery itself is gorgeous (a must-see). And there's a spot in the back "recreation" garden to get a quick sandwich and a beer/drink, on the patio of the beautiful pink building there. It's a self-serve set-up, so you won't spend time with ordering and waiting for food, when you're on such a tight schedule. You'll be glad you stopped in Melk.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I also say to stop and see the Abbey at Melk. We loved it, although they did not like my slogan for the town:
"Got Melk".

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:11 AM

I think the detailed train times above refer to the famous, "Melk Route".
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we have Melked this for all it's worth.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:43 PM

Well, you could overnight in Melk, as we did, and see the abbey either on arrival or the following morning. You could then elect to take the boat/train route or the direct train to Vienna. This means you wouldn't be doubling back, yet you'd have a little more time.

It's hard to give an estimate for time - if not spending the night, you could maybe just do it, but I'd be a bit wary, trains have a way of being late....and it could be pouring on your arrival....good luck, whatever you decide.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
MaureenB

Do people refer to the "abbey" as the monastery? Technically, they're not the same thing, so I'm just wondering. I know there are two major sites to tour in Melk.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:11 PM

We were in Melk this summer. I think that three hours is enough for the monastery.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Hello! This is a bit of a late reply, but I would absolutely recommend you see Melk! The abbey is really wonderful. However, I was on a cruise down the Rhine, and we didn't go anywhere but the abbey, so I can't comment on the town.

Not sure if you'll have a car (it sounds like you won't), but there is a darling town near Melk called Durnstein. It's perhaps just your typical European small town, but we found it exceedingly charming. It has a beautiful old church with a tall "Carolina-blue" (sky blue) tower. I'm sorry to say I don't know the exact distance- again, we were on a boat! But that town is one of my favorite Austrian memories.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:25 AM

Sorry but if you were on a cruise and stopped in Melk and Durnstein, you were on the Danube and not the Rhine as mentioned in your post.

The town of Melk itself is not really interesting when compared to others in the area. It has several cafes and gift shops, but no other worthy sights.This is probably the reason that your tour did not include any time there.

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:11 PM

<font color=#cc3366>Molker - I was looking for your reply earier in this thread. So, based on that comment, with the abbey, how much time is needed in Melk?

~gnr~</font>
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 03:54 AM

The time for the Abbey varies by personal interests of course.Many things to see including view of the Danube.
2-3 hours is ample.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:19 AM

Forgive me! You are correct; the cruise went first from Vienna on the Danube, then on the Rhine through Germany.

My apologies for the error!