I've been traveling the rails in Britain for decades - usually with some kind of BritRail Pass and have used probably 30 passes all told on separate trips. In previous days as a travel writer i researched and wrote many things about Britain and British trains.
I totally love trains in general and British ones in particular. They are not nearly the most modern in Europe, the most comfortable nor certainly the most punctual, but every train ride in Britain is to me an adventure, a good way to meet the locals and just a great way to get around as there are trains at least hourly going practically everywhere the normal tourist will want to go.
I'm intending this thread for folks pondering a British rail trip who really have little knowledge of what it's all about - to understand the rail system, give sample itineraries, explain all about passes and point to point regular tickets which, depending on plans, can be the better option, etc. In all i will seek to show why the British train option is a great way, especially for novice British visitors to tour the country (and of course not have to deal with driving on the 'wrong' side of the road)
Questions and comments from others about their experiences are welcomed anytime as are comments from others experienced in the ins and out of the British Rail system.
Dr Richard Beeching; PhD in British Rail Studies, Univ of Oxbridge, England
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 2 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 3 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 4 Order of Amalfi visit in October
- 5 Looking for B&B Recommendations Killarney Ireland
- 6 Driving from Bouzies to Figeac
- 7 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 8 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 9 Finally The Bowl Has Begun
- 10 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 11 Getting to FCO from Rome
- 12 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 13 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 14 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 15 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 16 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 17 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 18 Easter Week in Italy
- 19 Moscow Hotels
- 20 Rome Hotel
- 21 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 22 Getting around Lisbon
- 23 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 24 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 25 Trains - website?