Reload this Page >

Bringing home that great French wine!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:13 PM
Tom

I understand that you can only bring home 750 liters per person, however what if you bring home more? Do you have to claim it? <BR> <BR>What do they charge you when you do? <BR> <BR>They don't make you throw it away... do they?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:20 PM
Rex

You can bring more wine than 750 [MILLI]liters of wine (750 liters would be close to a ton of wine). It depends a bit on where home is, since the laws that might be the most important are likely to be state or other local jurisdictions. <BR> <BR>Many "regulars" and other visitors have posted our experiences bringing 10, 20 bottles of wine or more. Search on "shipping wine" - - and you will learn that you can generally NOT ship wine home (unless you are a licensed importer) - - but you can read various advice on bringing wine home in your luggage - - with and without paying duty on it. <BR> <BR>Few people here would tell you to snub federal, state or local laws (and they vary widely). But often times, they seem to be irrelevant or ignored. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:02 PM
AGM/Cape Cod

Tom- We brought 6 bottles of wine back with us on the plane as well as 3 bottles of liqueurs, all 750 ml. We declared all and didn't pay any duty on them. We also shipped 2 cases of wine from Beaune through a negociant (sp?). The shipping cost were built into the price which for the wines we got were very reasonable. The negociant (sp?) said that you can't ship to some states-the only one I remember is California. When the wine arrived in Boston we had to pay $25 in duty and $10 for fees to the airline. All in all a reasonable amount for wines we could never afford in the US. If you are going to Beaune and want the name of the negociant (sp?) let me know.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 08:02 PM
John H

Tom, <BR> <BR>I will be in Beaune in September and would love to get: 1) the name of the negociant and how that process works; 2) suggestions on some of the wines you'd recommend or the ones you brought home (and rationale for choosing those particular wines: was it that they are not available here in the U.S.?; the price was magnitudes cheaper?); and, 3) any tips for 3 days in Beaune. <BR> <BR>Feel free to post here or to send directly to my e-mail. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance. <BR> <BR>John H.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 02:39 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

John- <BR> First-The negociant is Patriarche Pere & Fils 7 Rue Du College 21200 Beaune. The telephone number is 03 80 24 53 79. We were on a hotel barge which knew of them. First we went through the regular tasting process they have set up which gives you tastes of Burgundy wines of several grape varieties and qualities. Then we expressed an interest in tasting other wines-since we were with the guide from the boat who does this all the time he set it up. I imagine that since the staff are available in the last tasting room you can ask one of them. You have to ship at least one case and as I recall you have to take 6 bottles of each kind you are shipping. We paid by credit card. Let them know when you will be returning if you are in the beginning of your trip. We were there on June 26th and the wine arrived in Boston on July 20th. <BR>As to the wine, we love Burgundies which are expensive in the States. The wines we bought are also hard to find. It was our anniversary so we splurged a little. Go through the tasting and see what you like-take notes as you go through (they have a tasting notes form). Ask to taste wines like the ones you liked. If you don't know about wines and the classification systems-premier cru, grande cru etc do some research before you go. Also go to your local/best wine store and get a feel for the prices. We buy a lot of wine and get circulars from our favorite stores so we were familiar with prices and availability. Also we were in the restaurant business and my husband was a sommelier, which is not to say we are experts but we know what we like and the prices here. We got a 1993 Beaune Cent Vignes Hospice de Dijon Premier Cru ($22/bottle), 1992 Puligny-Montrachet Cuvee de Maiziere Hospices de Dijon ($26), 1993 Meursault Genevrieires Baudot Hospice de Beaune($44) and 1979 Beaune Nicholas Rolin Hospice de Beaune (our splurge $52). The wines arrived by air in 6 bottle cases with each bottle in a styrofoam box. My husband picked it up in 85 deg heat and said that the bottle were still at about 59 deg optimal temperature. Be aware that all wine you bring back should set before drinking-something about the altitude of the plane-so don't plan a party for the night it arrives. Hope this helps. <BR>Also if you like the kir (white wine or champagne with Creme de Cassis) Patriarche has a very nice Creme de Cassis. I don't remember the price (I paid for the wine and my husband the Cassis.) but I don't think it was high. <BR>As for Beaune itself-we only saw the Hospice which you must!!! see. It is a 14 century hospital and is amazing. Have a great trip.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:44 AM
Tom

Thanks to all. We are going to Avignon and Beaune as well. This is very helpful as I hope to bring about 10 bottles home with me in a carry on. <BR> <BR>Thanks once again. <BR> <BR>Tom

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 05:19 PM
John H

Thanks for the great and detailed information, AGM/Cape Cod. <BR> <BR>John H

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:10 PM
kalena

You still need to keep in mind weight allowances for carry-ons. I had to check-in my carry-on at the last moment at CDG, because the three bottles of wine that I had inside made it exceed the weight limit. Luckily the bottles were bubble-wrapped in the three-pack container the wine merchant gave me, and I had saved the original bag. So, the wine became my carry-on and everything else got checked in for the 1/2 way around the world voyage back home. Lucky I had daily disposable lesnses and didn't need my contact lens fluid! <BR>Negociants seem like the way to go...but I'm looking to import Australian vintages next!~

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 03:48 AM
AGM/Cape Cod

Kalena- <BR> The six bottles of wine we brought on the plane had been purchased in three-bottle cartons with handles for carrying. We arranged all our luggage so that we could just carry on the wine, liqeuers and the glass I bought my sister. For some reason we underpacked this trip, what a difference that made. Let me know how you guys do with other negociants-it is our 50th b-days next year and I'd love some champagne for the party!

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 04:05 PM
kalena

Thanks, AGM...Can't beat organization and planning... <BR>I *like* your priorities! <BR> <BR>I should have had T bring back his quota, too. BTW, T made 50 last year, and I'll make that mark next year too! Here's raising a toast to that outstanding `52 vintage. ~ k <BR> <BR> <BR>