Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bringing Foie Gras Into US (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bringing-foie-gras-into-us-776432/)

nickidee Apr 1st, 2009 09:25 AM

Bringing Foie Gras Into US

I truly don't want to start another debate on the pros and cons of eating/raising foie gras. I would just like to know if there is any problem taking three small tins (65 g each) of it back into the US when I fly home from Paris on Friday? If anyone knows the rules, and can inform me...legal or not?, hand luggage vs. checked bags?, etc., I'd really appreciate it. After tasting some at the market this morning (from a free range farmer, I might add), I bought the tins in a daze of deliciousness, and then got second guessing myself about taking it home. It is canned, French, and like a patè. Will be grateful for any advice. Please let me know as soon as possible, 'cause if I can't take it, I have two days to eat it! : )

Thanks!

TDudette Apr 1st, 2009 09:30 AM

hey nickidee,

We brought jars of tapenade in our carry on. I don't know the rules but we didn't declare them. As long as it's sealed, I think you are just fine. You should get a better response soon. And yes, probably some PC comments. Enjoy no matter what!

Sarastro Apr 1st, 2009 09:35 AM

I should think not but you can make your own determination:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...restricted.xml

Sarastro Apr 1st, 2009 09:39 AM

<i>I should think not</i>

I was not clear. Any meat product, even bouillon cubes, is not admissible.

TDudette Apr 1st, 2009 09:43 AM

Good site Sarastro. I read it and am confused. It separates meat from poultry in the title but says that meat is restricted. Can you call the embassy? It's near Hotel Crillon I do believe!

hetismij Apr 1st, 2009 09:57 AM

It means live poultry when it refers to poultry - livestock and poultry. Dead poultry is meat, same as dead livestock.

FrankS Apr 1st, 2009 10:12 AM

That site is vague. As I understood in the past, pork pate( fresh?) was the prohibited item. Foie Gras ' I think' is acceptable.

Of course this thread now has be doubting myself

StCirq Apr 1st, 2009 10:15 AM

I bring foie gras back with me every single time I go to France, most recently last August. If it is tinned and labeled with a commercial label (NOT a local producer's handwritten or computerized scribbles), you can bring it in.

kelliebellie Apr 1st, 2009 10:19 AM

Should the OP check it or not?

I would think there is a better chance of bringing it back if it is checked. But if it is not checked and they say no way, then you have the option of eating it in the security line.

alohatoall Apr 1st, 2009 10:20 AM

Like StCirq, we always bring foie gras back, but be sure it's in a can, not a glass jar. And whatever you do, be sure to declare it, since the penalties if you're caught with undeclared goods are stiff.

nickidee Apr 1st, 2009 10:21 AM

Thanks, guys! From what I read at the cbp.gov site, you're right, Sarastro, it sure doesn't sound like I can take it. It specifically mentions canned meats being prohibited. I certainly expected that I couldn't take things like refrigerated meats or whatever, but thought that maybe being canned would make it OK. Darn! I was looking forward to sharing it with a couple of my friends. Now, I'm going to have to be a real hog and eat it all myself (or perhaps give some to my French landlord). It cost too much to chance it being confiscated and destroyed. : (

StCirq Apr 1st, 2009 10:23 AM

Yes, do declare it. You'll have to go through the Ag line, but it beats being nailed on the spot for failing to declare it. And do check it. And don't bring it back in jars (though the best stuff usually is jarred).

StuDudley Apr 1st, 2009 10:26 AM

I'm not a big fan of the canned stuff. Have you tried some mi cuit foie gras in France???

I can purchase raw foie gras or mi cuit here locally (till 1002 when it is banned in Calif).

Stu Dudley

iris1745 Apr 1st, 2009 10:27 AM

Hi; We brought 'foie gras' back last October, sold in the duty free shops. No problem. iris1745/dick

ira Apr 1st, 2009 10:27 AM

Hi nick,

Most of the time you can bring back tinned foie gras. It depends on whether USDA has issued a warning or not.

It comes under the heading of "gels and liquids" so put it into your checked baggage if it weighs more than 100g/tin. Under 100g is OK in carryon.

((I))

nickidee Apr 1st, 2009 10:31 AM

StCirq, I sent my last post before seeing yours. Yes, my tins are definitely commercially canned and labeled. Checked or carry on bags? Do you declare it?

Alohatoall, so you declare it, and they just let you through?

Kelliebellie, no matter how good it is, I can't even IMAGINE eating it all in line... : )

Thanks all!

iris1745 Apr 1st, 2009 10:31 AM

Hi; About this 'checked' or 'not checked thought'. Usually, at the duty free shop, you buy your goods, when you pay the cashier he/she puts it in a sealed bag and you reclaim it as you board the airplane. iris1745/dick

iris1745 Apr 1st, 2009 10:40 AM

Hi; Sorry, I didn't read or misread part of your post. Just put it in your checked baggage as others have suggested. No problem. iris1745/dick

AGM_Cape_Cod Apr 1st, 2009 10:41 AM

I returned on Monday from Paris with a tin of foie gras in my checked luggage. I declared it and was rewarded by a big red A on my customs slip. That earned me a free xray of my bags but I left the airport with the foie gras.

nickidee Apr 1st, 2009 10:48 AM

OK, you guys have made me comfortable with sending it in my checked luggage, and declaring it when I go through Customs. That's what I'll do.

As always, you all are the greatest! Thanks!