Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bringing Euros On the Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bringing-euros-on-the-trip-539671/)

toparis Jun 26th, 2005 03:57 PM

Bringing Euros On the Trip

This is probably obvious to most of you, but where do you get Euros in the US so you have them before you head to Europe? Any place in particular to get the best exchange rate?

elaine Jun 26th, 2005 04:16 PM

I don't know about the best, lots of people say they have found the best, but since I get euros in advance for the primary reason of just wanting them, I get them from my home bank (Chase). I am willing to pay an extra $5 or so for the convenience.

ira Jun 26th, 2005 04:21 PM

Hi to,

I suggest that you get no more than $100 worth of euros at the departure airport.

Charge everything you can. Use ATMs in Europe for whatever cash you might need. This will give you the best exchange rate.

((I))

gracejoan Jun 26th, 2005 04:28 PM

Wells Fargo online for overnight, your bak for starters......

billy_boy Jun 26th, 2005 04:31 PM

Get them from a bank. In a lot of instances, if you are a preferred customer (or in some other instances, if you are just a plain customer), they won't charge you any fee to buy Euro.

BTW, most small branches will not have Euro at the moment that you make the request. They need 24 hours to get you your foreign currency, even for as little as Euro 100. Best thing to do, is call your 24-hour customer service center (number at the back of your ATM card) and have them deliver the foreign currency to your nearest branch for pick up (usually available the following day) - unless they deliver to your home.

Patrick Jun 26th, 2005 04:47 PM

If you are concerned with the cost, be aware that "no fee" doesn't mean "no cost". If they give you 10 euro for each dollar, but don't charge you a special "fee" will that make you happy? It's not the fee I worry about, it's the actual exchange rate.

WillTravel Jun 26th, 2005 04:48 PM

I get them from a currency exchange bureau that charges 2% over the interbank rate and no other fees. I'm in Canada, but I think such establishments exist in major US cities if you look for them.

Robespierre Jun 26th, 2005 04:56 PM

I don't take either € or £ with me. I use debit cards for purchases and to get cash from ATMs, and a few hundred $ as backup.

So far, I've never used the $ in 200+ trips since 1963.

ira Jun 26th, 2005 04:57 PM

Hey Patrick,

>If they give you 10 euro for each dollar, but don't charge you a special "fee" will that make you happy?<

You betchum! :)

You wanna correct that?

((I))

billy_boy Jun 26th, 2005 05:45 PM

Don't worry about the exchange rate diffferences between banks, credit unions, or entities American Express when buying a few hundred $ worth of Euros in the US.

I've noticed that some posters on this board stressfully and unnecesarily over-analyzes such things and appear to lose sleep over the superflous differences for such a small amount.

suze Jun 28th, 2005 08:28 AM

Ask at your own home bank, go to a currency exchange bureau like Thomas Cook, or order them online. Most people only get a small amount ahead of time (100-200) so the fee and bad exchange are not deal-breakers.

Then use ATM after arrival.

suze Jun 28th, 2005 08:28 AM

Or your departure airport is one more possibility.

Robespierre Jun 28th, 2005 08:54 AM

Pin a hundred bucks in your bloomers. If you can't get local currency from the ATM at your destination airport, and you can't get to your hotel on plastic, exchange a sawbuck to get you there.

Don't worry. Be happy.

Patrick Jun 28th, 2005 09:06 AM

Ooops, Ira. I can't believe I said that. I meant to say "if they give you 10 euro for each hundred dollars"!!!

Where do I sign up for getting what I said?

Intrepid1 Jun 28th, 2005 10:53 AM

Robespierre, I think even you would admit you are in the minority of those solvent enough to be able to use debit cards and cash and no credit cards whatsoever when visiting Europe.

Worktowander Jun 28th, 2005 09:45 PM

And when you come home, don't "try" to "get rid" of your leftover euros. Stash them so you'll have them for next time and can skip all this!

kswl Jun 28th, 2005 09:55 PM

I don't use credit cards, either, although I carry one for emergencies. But I do take enough money in local currency to pay for transportation to my hotel and for a meal. You just don't want to land and have to wait in a long (30 min) line if the ATM's are down. This happened to us recently and it was the first time I'd come without my "just in case" local money. Won't ever do it again. It won't cost you that much to have about $100 in local currency with you when you land. You might be REALLY glad you have it.

toparis Jun 29th, 2005 01:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked into some of them...and it seems like a lot of the banks do not have favorable exchange rates and charge fees sometimes. Any suggestions about where to get the best exchange rates (bank or online) in the US?
Thanks again.

janis Jun 29th, 2005 02:13 PM

toparis: There is NO place in the States you will get a favorable exchange rate.

Even if your bank charges fees overseas, it will still be better than paying to get € at home.

suze Jun 29th, 2005 02:16 PM

<and it seems like a lot of the banks do not have favorable exchange rates and charge fees sometimes.>

That's why people wait to get most of their cash after arrival. If there was a better way... we'd all be doin' it differently!