Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bring a coat or just "layer" in Amsterdam?

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Rita Bryant

Going to Amsterdam April 1st. Weather prediction is 40's but feels like 25! Should I bring and lug around a coat or just layer my clothes?

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Brian in Atlanta

You're going to want something to block that wind. Leather does this well.

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:28 AM
xxx

I have been trying to post a message in reference to this too but have not succeeded yet.Does one need to layer even in June. I'll be in Amsterdam, prague, vienna in early June and have no idea what to take. I really don't know and being from the southwwest of the U.S. I am not exposed to very cold weather. I may need to purchase a jacket. I sincerely appreciate any help. Thanks

Mar 27th, 2001, 10:53 AM
dana

I am sitting in Amsterdam right now. It is sooo cold and windy and damp. I did not bring warm enough clothes. It probably will only hit 40 degrees for the high and it is so windy. Please bring a wool sweater, gloves and a scarf. I thought it would be a little warmer, but I would be happy just to see the sun.

Mar 27th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Ed

Depends in some measure on personal susceptibility to the cold, damp, etc.

For me I'd probably chance it and layer. In April I'd be prepared for chilly, damp winds. Sweater, windproof/rainproof jacket, gloves, cap ... at least. Not less bulk, perhaps, but more useful if weather is warmer, or as temps change throughout day.

Another thought for off-season travel: long underwear.

We've be using (Damart?) silk underwear for some time when we travel off-season. All day in museums? Not needed. Out a lot, or in and out? The damp and chill can get to us after a while no matter what we're wearing. The long johns really help with that.

And they take almost no space in the suitcase. They dry quickly so most would probably get along with only one pair on a trip, two at most.

Mar 27th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Sjoerd

I live in Amsterdam. When I biked to work this morning I needed full winter gear: gloves, winter coat, shawl. It is unusually cold now. It might change soon, but don't count on it. To xxx who will be here in June: always bring a coat to Northern and Western Europe (Northern Italy/Southern France and further North), even in June. It can be quite cold (about 12 C) even in June.

Mar 27th, 2001, 05:54 PM
s.fowler

We were in A'dam last week and it SNOWED. For proof see here: http://geocities.com/travelswithus/march01/ams-2.html

It was COLD and DAMP.

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:25 PM
xxx

SJoerd, Please excuse my ignorance but 12c? How much is that in Farenheit(sp?)? Anyone out there know? Thanks for your help.

Mar 28th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Paige

Just guessing but I think 12C is about 53-55F. 20C is 68F.
I recommend taking a waterproof coat and layer under that.

Mar 28th, 2001, 06:28 AM
John

To convert C to F: double the C number and then add 30. Therefore 12C equals 54F. Its approximate but it's close enough.
Hope this helps.

Mar 28th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Carey

I was in Amsterdam in August, then July, then in October, and all three times we needed either a sweater (July and August) and a leather jacket (October). I would recommend a good sweater and warm pants. Maybe even a leather jacket........or you could just buy one there from a market! Carey

Mar 28th, 2001, 06:32 PM
xxx

Thanks for helping me with my question.

Mar 28th, 2001, 11:16 PM
April

In February I wore a Gortex jacket with a hood. All I needed was a sweater underneath because the jacket kept the wind and rain out. The nice thing is that it's not heavy or bulky so it was easy to carry (or store on the train/restaurant/whatever seat beside you). With that and a pair of gloves I was never actually cold in Amsterdam.