Reload this Page >

Brief Trip Report - Amalfi Coast, Umbria & Roma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Ian

As a thanks to info from the forum:<BR><BR>Our Trip<BR>4 nites - Conca dei Marini (4kms from Amalfi)<BR>4 nites - Todi (lower Umbria)<BR>3 nites - Roma<BR><BR>Arrived Roma - drove to Amalfi Coast<BR><BR>Amalfi:<BR>Hotel Belvedere - Conca dei Marini<BR>Highly recommended. Excellent location. Parking. A Sita Bus Stop at your door.<BR>Good (not great restaurant) Stunning location, right on the cliffs with a 180 degree view. Rm 2 shares a large balcony with rm 1 & 2. Wow! Excellent English-speaking staff. Sita - 0.93 Euros to Amalfi - around 2 Euros to Positano - from Amalfi you can bus to Ravello 2 -3 Euros.<BR><BR>Best Restaurant we tried: Cumpa' Cosimo in Ravello - Netta is a blast & the food was excellent.<BR><BR>Driving Suggestions: We drove to the coast via Salerno (after getting seriously lost in Napoli, where the only rule of driving is: THERE ARE NO RULES - the driver with the most nerve wins!)<BR>Use the bus or boat for Amalfi Coast transit.<BR><BR>Umbria:<BR>Hotel Fonte Cesia<BR>Highly recommended. Excellent location, 2 small blocks from Piazza dei Popolo. Parking. Excellent staff & restaurant - La Palme. Ask for rm 111, a junior suite with a great balcony to watch the street scenes below.<BR><BR>Easy drives to Orvieto, Deruta(for ceramics), Caesarum etc.<BR><BR>We also drove to Montalcino (2 1/2 hours) for lunch at Castello Banfi.<BR><BR>Roma:<BR>Hotel Carravaggio<BR>A dump, but well located & very good staff.<BR>We did not drive in Roma. We dropped the car at Fiumicino & took the train in. Cheap but a very long walk at both ends - not fun with a lot of luggage.<BR><BR>Best Restaurant:Al Bric<BR><BR>More info available - just ask, I'm too tired to think more right now . . .

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 09:17 AM
crp

lan- thanks for your report.<BR><BR>Could you tell me more about Netta in Ravella ?<BR>Such as : what you had, cost of meal and is it a place where you can dress, informally ?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Ian

Cumpa' Cosimo in Ravello<BR><BR>Antipasti & Primi were around 6 - 7 Euros. Secondi were 9 - 11 Euros. So figure 25 - 36 Euros per. I splurged on a 42 Euro Chianti Riserva that Netta (who handles all bills) insisted on charging only 40 for. She is a sweet lady & her English is quite good (better than the other staff). Dress informal. She opens at 6:30 & place fills up by 9. Phone (39)089/857156. Be prepared to speak Italian for the reservation, or have a hotel do it.<BR>It's worth it & Ravello is stunning. A pre-dinner drink at Villa Marie is magical (the view that is).

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 07:12 PM
george

Did you happen to go to, or hear anything about, the classical concerts at Conca? Every Thursday night, I think. I'm interested in going to one in July. Thanks.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 02:33 AM
Ian

George:<BR>The concerts are held in Ravello in the Villa Rufulo gardens. see http://www.ondaverde.it/concertii.htm or http://www.rcs.amalficoast.it/ for info & dates. The only downside to Ravello is getting to/from it. If you are staying in any other town, this can be a problem. Blue SITA buses run from Amalfi almost hourly. The last bus to Amalfi is around 8:00 PM, which means you will have to drive or take a cab (50 Euros approx). Cab from Positano to Amalfi also 50 Euros<BR>