Brief TR - David Hockney at the van Gogh

Old Mar 9th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brief TR - David Hockney at the van Gogh

We wnet to see the Hockney-van Gogh Joys of Nature exhibition at the van gogh Museum today.
It was really enjoyable.
On display are some of Hockney's Yorkshire paintings, water colours, sketches and iPad "paintings", along with a few, but not many van Goghs. You can see both the normal museum as well as the Hockney on the same ticket, and I recommend the multi-media tour, listening to Hockney talk about his paintings and van Gogh.
Some of his paintings are huge and actualy see them it is hard to appreciate just how big they are. Full of colour and life and joy. Some blatant stealing from van Gogh as he happily admits,as well as much inspiration from him. There is a video playing of him making a couple of his iPad pictures which is just fascinating to watch.
The exhibition runs until May 26th, so if you are planing to visit the van Gogh before then do go to the exhibtion too. Not huge but worth while.
There is also a small exhibition of Pissaro etchings on another floor.

DH and our grandson share a birthday so we have a double celebration every year. Their birthday is Monday so we arranged to celebrate it today. Once that was decided upon I suggested we go down earlier to see the exhibition. We are museumcard holders, and they have a special off on the multimedia tour for card holders this month so I checked for tickets, and booked our slot. It showed things getting busy from 10.30 onwards so I chose the 10 am slot.
We drove down from Friesland and left the car in a Park and Ride Carpark. Since we were unsure how long it would take or if our chosen P+R carpark would have spaces we set off early. As a result we were much too early for our 10 am spot. We went and had a coffee (or two) at the nearby Small Talk Coffee Corner, good coffee, friendly people and classical music! Then we headed to the museum even though we were still more than half an hour early, and were allowed in, which was great as it was still really quiet and meant we could enjoy the paintings without much of a crowd.

We had a light lunch at the museum café before heading to our grandson's birthday party.

https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/what...ckney-van-gogh

Small Talk Amsterdam
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 12:16 AM

Thanks Hetismij, I have tickets to go and see this in a couple of weeks.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 01:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
What a great way to celebrate a double birthday, Hets. Love it that they let you in early too.

No plans to visit Amsterdam, sadly but I'll look out for more Hockney in my travels.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hetismij2: Nice report. Anyone visiting Amsterdam during the run should try to visit the Hockney. I haven't been but did go to the big exhibition in London a couple of years ago and was amazed with the variety of styles and subjects. Of course I was 'familiar' with his work, but the breadth of the exhibition was a real eye opener. Loved it.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the report; wish I could see it. But did see quite a few of the big Hockneys a few years ago in San Francisco. Did not know he was such a fan of Van Gogh, though should have guessed.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 04:20 AM

Hockney has some interesting theories about how the veracity in Dutch 17th century art was actually achieved

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Vermeer is a prime example of a painter using these techniques.