Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bridget Jones's Diary: UK Fodorites, what say You?

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:15 AM
Judy

Hello all, I know this is not a travel question, but I am extremely interested in UK's reaction to their Bridget? Is it similar to the Vivien Leigh thing or what?
Just Curious....Judy ;-)

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:37 AM
kate

I haven't seen it yet (tho I do want to). General reaction seems to be that's it's a good adaptation. Many people were sceptical (it'll never be as good as the book, Rene will never be able to pull off a british accent etc), but most people appear to be eating their words.

I think people still feel that a British actress who didn't have to fatten up should have been chosen for the part (eg Kate Winslet), but many British films feel they have to place an american in one of the leads to ensure good sales in the US (eg 4 weddings and a funeral, Mary Poppins - Dick Van Dyke, what WAS that accent??)

But I've heard Rene Zelleger is great, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 05:02 AM
Judy

Thanks Kate for the input! I just love this movie! It was number one in the US, beating "Spy Kids". And I adored "Four Weddings" and especially "Sliding Doors". It must be that very wonderful combination of humor,pathos and intelligence. I keep on coming back for more wonderful British movies! Judy

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Gina

For God's sake, she didn't "fatten" up.

Anyway, my husband and I went to see the movie, not expecting it to be very good, and that Renee's accent would be awful. And we ended up being very entertained. Her accent really wasn't too bad (my husband's English, and this was his assessment).

My husband's favorite part was the fight between Colin and Hugh Grant. As he said (and as we later heard Hugh Grant say in an interview), that really is how two Englishmen who went to public school would fight.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:42 AM
kate

Sorry Gina, am I missing something? Rene had to go on a weightgaining diet for the film, to go from a UK size 6-8 up to a 12 (pizzas and guinness apparently). She has apparently declined to do a sequel unless Bridget can be "thin" in the next film because she found it so hard to put on weight (eating when she wasn't hungry , feeling miserable about her body etc)

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 08:04 AM
Tina

I'm American, so I apologize for jumping in, but maybe it's just semantics that Gina has a problem with. Let's not say that Renee "fattened up," and instead say that she "gained 20 pounds." Better?

I thought the movie was very good, although it was too short and didn't include enough of the witticisms in the book. The book is extremely witty and entertaining. Haven't read The Edge of Reason, though. Any comments on the sequel?

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 08:08 AM
kate

Fair enough Tina. Maybe it's a clash of language cultures. Two countries divided by the same language and all that.....

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Judy

Ohh to have to gain weight, what a problem, Bridget would love it. What I gather from this movie and book, there are more ties that bind women together, than separate, yes? Almost universal in theme, don't you think? The boss the mother, the boyfriends, the girlfriends, the angst that goes with them all..... good stuff IMO, Judy

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Ann

I can't really answer your main question because the film was completely sold out at all sittings at our local cinema - but that must tell you something.

However I can't answer your secondary question either - please satisfy my curiosity - what ever is the Vivien Leigh thing?

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 11:34 AM
lisa

When Vivien Leigh was hired to play Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind," there was a huge uproar here because the book had been so successful that Scarlett was sort of an icon in peoples' minds -- Vivien Leigh didn't fit that mold since she wasn't American & people had trouble believing that she could manage a southern accent & pull off the role.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Caitlin

Renee Zellweger is a teeny, skinny thing at her "regular" weight; when I saw the film, I thought to myself that she certainly looked fleshier and less toned than she usually does, but also that she looked (gasp!) like a real person, wight-wise. (FWIW she certainly looked heavier than Kate Winslet does; Kate Winslet is hardly a waif, but she's hardly carrying "extra" weight, IMO. We all know how skewed the standards for actresses [or all nationalities] are.)

Also FWIW, there was a small pieve in the NY Times the week the film opened that quoted the director as saying that she was searching for an actor with certain qualities that she felt were inherent in Bridget Jones (sorry, don't remember exactly what she said), and that she felt RZ had those more than any other person she saw, British or not.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Gina

In an interview I saw with RZ, she said she gained 15 pounds.

In the book, Bridget is not fat, and merely had convinced herself that she is carrying some extra weight, which she isn't. This is made very clear by the fact that when she achieves what she considers her "ideal" weight, her friends all tell her that she looks ill and gaunt.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Gina

In an interview I saw with RZ, she said she gained 15 pounds.

In the book, Bridget is not fat, and merely had convinced herself that she is carrying some extra weight, which she isn't. This is made very clear by the fact that when she achieves what she considers her "ideal" weight, her friends all tell her that she looks ill and gaunt.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:28 PM
britabroad

Errr - sorry to be such a bore but I thought this was a travel site for chocaholics.