Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bressanone info needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bressanone-info-needed-261048/)

Tricia Sep 25th, 2002 03:08 PM

Bressanone info needed

I'm considering heading to Northern Italy at the end of January. I had found a great hotel price in Bressanone and was wondering how large or busy this town is, if it's close to ski areas and also which airport would it be best to fly into. I'm sorry I haven't researched the area that much. Thanks for any help.

gac Sep 25th, 2002 03:28 PM

Bressanone is a very nice small town north of Bolzano and south of the Brenner Pass, reasonably close to the ski areas of the Val Gardena. Great place to experience the German/Italian mixture in the Alto Adige Province of Italy. The closest international airport is VERONA, reachable by train from Bressanone in circa two hours. There is a small airport in Bolzano, but with very, very few scheduled flights. MUNICH is the closest intercontinental airport.

Wayne Sep 25th, 2002 04:40 PM

Fly into Munich. From there you can go by rail to Bressanone in about 3 to 4 hours plus connection time. Bressanone is a nice town, population around 20,000, with some really pretty sights in the old center of town. Yes, it's near ski areas, too. That part of Italy is full of ski slopes.<BR><BR>You could connect on a flight from Munich to Verona, but you'd still have a train ride of a couple of hours. If you rent a car, you'll also get a much better deal renting in Munich than in Italy.<BR><BR>I've driven past Bressanone a number of times but have never stayed overnight. It looks like a great place to use as a base for exploring or skiing.

KT Sep 25th, 2002 04:47 PM

I've stayed in Bressanone for a couple of nights and enjoyed it. I wasn't there for skiing though -- more for sightseeing and walking. It's a pleasant place and not too big, but big enough.

Mariarosa Sep 25th, 2002 06:12 PM

Besides the recommendations from gac (always on target), wayne, and KT, you could also fly into Innsbruck. You could also fly into Venice and Milano, but they would probably be a 4-5 hour drive to Bressanone.<BR><BR>I have not visited Bressanone (have heard good things about it though), but have visited the Dolomites these last 2 winters (for skiing). If your main interest is skiing, ask the hotel that you are considering how far away the slopes are and which slopes (some ski areas are smaller). Then check the area out at www.dolomitisuperski.com. <BR><BR>If you rent a car and get a Dolomiti Superski pass you can ski anywhere in the Dolomites. Many roads are mountaneous and curvy so keep that in mind. Also, you can get good deals at many hotels in this area, so you don't limit yourself to Bressanone.

Graziella Sep 25th, 2002 06:49 PM

We enjoyed Bressanone very much, mainly walking in the nearby mountains, like the Plose, the hotel Cavallino d &oacute;ro- was charming and very reasonable WIth a good breakfast and good and again reasonable restaurant.<BR>Rooms are very nice some kind of a junior suite for the rate of a regular room and they have free parking in the back.<BR>In town there are several old interesting landmarks like the<BR>XII century Duomo and a few klms the Abbazia di Novacella . Good luck.

Daniel Sep 26th, 2002 01:10 AM

www.brixen.org