Bremen - What Part of Town to Stay In

Feb 9th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Bremen - What Part of Town to Stay In

Might have the chance to take a 2-day trip to Bremen in mid-March. I'm totally unfamiliar with the city and area. Is it better to stay in the Altstadt/Markt area if you are a tourist rather than a business traveler? How about the Bahnhofstrasse area - is it really "easy walking distance" from the Altstadt or is that being optimistic? The following are the hotels being considered:

Ramada Treff Ubersee
Ibis Altstadt
Zur Post
Bremer Haus

Thanks for any input!

Feb 9th, 2004, 01:39 PM

We only stayed for one night, so stayed right across from the train station at the Zur Post which was surprisingly nice, and had an exceptional breakfast. (Be aware, however, this was nine years ago, so no guarantees). We walked everywhere from there.

But without a doubt for more "quaintness" stay in the old town or Markt area.
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick. Did you have dinner in the Altstadt? Any favorite sights?
Feb 9th, 2004, 05:02 PM

dovima- have not stayed in Bremen, but have enjoyed it on day trips from Hamburg. Try to stay in the Altstadt if possible, though the Bahnhof area is only a short walk away. I do know that the Ramada is connected to Boettcher Strasse which is a "fabled" shopping street and only a few minute walk to the Markt, the Cathedal, and the town hall whose Rathskellar is truely atmospheric (600 different wines). The Schnoor District is also an easy walk and worth a visit with its narrow lanes, medieval houses and small bistros and shops. Have a wonderful trip and say "Hi" to the "Bremen Musicians" for me.
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, CharlieB,
Have to ask - as a resident or visitor to Hamburg, what drew you to Bremen on a day trip? Any suggestions as to what to order at dinner if I go to the Rathskeller (this is the first time I'd be dining in such surroundings.)?
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Yes, we also did dinner at the Rathskellar. Looking at my journal I see we were very impressed. Both had a carpaccio of veal and beef with a warm mushroom salad. One of us had saddle of lamb, and the other grilled veal tenderloin. My partner had a red berry compote with white chocolate ice cream, while I had a great cheese and fruit tray. After spending about 6 weeks in Scandinavia, I wrote "this was the best meal we've had to date and it was in a wonderful setting."
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Re: Your dinner at the Rathskellar - Now that's the kind of information I can relate to! I'm pleased that I'm not the only one making notes on my meals while traveling. Thanks to both of you. If any one else has comments on restaurants/hotels/sights in Bremen, please let me know.
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:35 PM

dovima- no, I am not a "Hamburger", but I have been to Europe about 10 times and to Hamburg 3 times as I really liked it. Got interested in Hanseatic history and took a day trip to Lubeck. On my last trip did Hamburg, Lubeck and added Bremen. It is only about an hours trip from Hamburg so easily do-able. Sorry, I'm not a journal keeper, but I do recall the ambiance. Hope you like Bremen as much as I do!
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM

dovima, you'd get a kick out of my journals. I may not be able to tell you what church or monastery I visited, but I can tell you what I ate and where on any given day within the last 10 trips! Well, maybe not always "where", the wine sometimes clouds the memory before I get it written down.
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, guys. I promise a trip report. I too am interested in the cities of the Hansa, particularly those that were also "free and imperial" cities of the Holy Roman Empire. BUT I must confess - one of the major lures for me is that northern Germany is an area that Rick Steves just totally ignores - so, there's got to be something good there! Danke schon.