Breenee's travel tip #1

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breenee's travel tip #1

Create a special email folder pertaining to any future trip using an easily accessible email account such as Yahoo or Hotmail. Use it to store all your travel related information such as hotel/flight/car/ground transportion/trip insurance confirmations.

If possible, scan hardcopy documents (photocopies of passports, train passes, paper airline tickets, etc) and forward to your email folder. If away from home and you lose your email printouts or simply need to review something, you can access this information from any computer with internet access. I myself use MS Outlook but my ISP provides access via their website. Some others may only access their email via Outlook on their home/work computers which is why I recommend forwarding important travel related emails to an account with remote access.

Keep in mind if using a public computer in an internet cafe, you may be unable to delete files/cookies/history/clear forms. Double check with staff if you need to view sensitive email information.

Love,
Breenee

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Thumbs up for tip #1!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:19 AM

I'm not a computer geek, but couldn't an internet cafe somehow record your passwords while logged into their computers when you access your e-mail? Otherwise, great idea.

Inquiring mind would like to know.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:23 AM

Hey, Budman, believe me, you do not want to KNOW all the things that are possible and garnering computer passwords is the least of them. Last week I was able to literally tap into my neighbor's e-mail account because his wireless signal is so strong...

Great tip but I really want to "inquire" as to why the name of the poster is spelled two different ways?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:30 AM

Internet cafes can get access to your password if you're not smart enough to know how NOT to leave that information behind after your visit. Do your homework. If you're reasonably computer savvy, you should know how to avoid saving any private information to any hard drive.

It should be noted that Internet Cafes are not "in business" to screw over their business. But, it still pays to be cautious and smart with private information.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:44 AM

But despite how savvy one is, the Internet cafe could still have a keystroke logger installed, without one's knowledge. However, I just choose not to worry about that.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Man, am I getting savvy!!!

I think my trip to Tuscany will be internet cafe free except maybe to download some pics to a CD.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

The reason for the discrepancy of my screen name and signature name is because of copyright/trademark/conflict of interest reasons

The suggestion of using a special travel email folder is simply a suggestion or "tip". It is not mandatory to use nor does it ensure a pleasant and problem free trip. It is only an idea that I wanted to share.

There is no right or wrong way as to how to access a remote email account (well it would be unwise to ask to use a complete stranger's personal pc or laptop)

Love,
Breenee
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Can you get a decent cup of coffee in an internet cafe?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Is it acceptable to wear jeans to an internet cafe?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Kansan, I think so, but no white ones after labor day.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for the idea Breenie/Breenee. It would be nice to be able to have everything stored somewhere that is easily accessible in case your reservations or documents get screwed up or lost. I'd rather risk somebody stealing my email password (I may actually just create a brand new yahoo account for non-sensitive information only) than be stuck far from home with no proof that I have a ticket or reservation.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Good grief! if you're paranoid enough to worry about scanning your travel documents, you're cetainly paranoid enough to worry about key logging

Dear BN; this is not to knock your idea, on which, following your prior post, I have no views. But the rest of you???

Surely life's too short?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 11:15 AM

How ridiculous. You're simply going on holiday, not running a business. If you want to store the emails (I just print them off) put them in a separate folder in Outlook. Please grow up and stop making a fuss dear. Are we such a travel guru that we give advice in this superior condescending manner?
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:29 PM

I don't think it's a good idea at all, and fairly pointless. Everyone should have a xerox copy of their passport with them (I always have one in my wallet), and a copy of their itinerary. If you need to "review" your information, it is not going to be convenient to go to an internet cafe in the middle of the night nor necessarily anywhere. For most things, you don't need copies of them at all.

I always take a copy of my itinerary, hotel confirmation, etc., but I put one copy in my purse and another in a folder in my carryon or something.

It surprises me how paranoid some people are about sending their credit card number in an email for a hotel reservation, but think it's a great idea to send and store all of this other personal information by internet and in email.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:39 PM
ira

Dear Breenie,

Unfortunately, you are going to find that no good deed goes unpunished here.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 12:48 PM

Out of curiosity I checked yahoo & hotmail. Both of them have a box to check that says something like "do not remember me" as this is a public computer. The default is that it is NOT checked.

It's the same with my AT&T account. I'm in the habit of checking this box when I sign in at an internet cafe. It keeps from leaving behind a "cookie" with your userid & possibly password. Of course this doesn't stop keyboard loggers. I agree with the poster who said that businesses aren't in it to screw their customers.

I wouldn't put a scanned copy of my passport on-line, but I do leave a copy of my itinerary. In fact it's the same copy I e-mail to family and friends so they have phone numbers & hotels to reach me in an emergency when I'm traveling.