Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Breaking News! France In Shock - Paris Prepares for Maitaitom! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/breaking-news-france-in-shock-paris-prepares-for-maitaitom-601761/)

maitaitom Mar 23rd, 2006 10:58 AM

Breaking News! France In Shock - Paris Prepares for Maitaitom!

Breaking News!!!: Mon Dieu! Just when you thought relations between the U.S. and France were warming back up, it has been announced that Tom's Tuscan Tours will spend a week in Paris this Christmas to celebrate MaiTai Tracy's birthday.

Remembering that Italy has barely recovered from the Maitai September invasion, French President Jacques Chirac broke off talks with unions today saying, "We must concentrate all our efforts in attempting to protect Paris from this Yuletide onslaught. Seine minds must prevail!"

Chirac's first decree was to remove all Diesel-fueled vehicles from the city lest they be filled with the dreaded Super Gas by a group of stupid Americans. There is also talk of Vin Rouge rationing during the month of December.

It has been announced that Hotel de Varenne in the 7th will be the home base for the Maitais and perhaps a few friends. When Rodin was asked what could be done about the Maitais staying so near to his museum, he just put his hand under his chin and said, "Don't bother me. I'm thinking."

Although he has been to Paris on many occasions, Tom did say he had some questions for the board members of a secret organization known as Fodor's, an experienced group of world travelers who arm vacationers with knowledge and information so they can better assimilate into a country and its culture without being noticed.

"We are thinking about days trips to both Champagne and Vaux le Vicomte during our stay," Tom said. "Obviously, we would not rent a car because killing Parisian pedestrians would put a damper on the whole thing, so do you know the best way we could accomplish these two trips?"

There is also talk about the Maitais extending their stay to travel to another unsuspecting part of Europe, but Tom had a question. "We are thinking of taking the Eurostar to London (well, I guess they're not unsuspecting now), and spending a few days in London before flying home. It looks like the best price is $120 to get from Paris to London via train. Is that correct?"

Finally, Tom said he would welcome any suggestions on Christmas and birthday dinners in Paris, although Clos des Gourmets has already been warned they are one of his choices for a dinner while in town. Upon hearing of this planned birthday celebration trip, Marie Antoinette was overheard saying, "Let them eat cake!"

Tom added that he would have more questions as time goes on, but decided he should end this post quickly before he blows his cover.

This post will self-destruct in five seconds. Au Revoir. Tom
((H))

keb0503 Mar 23rd, 2006 11:05 AM

I'm sorry I can't help with any info but I had to tell you that was the best query i've ever read.
Merci!

degas Mar 23rd, 2006 11:05 AM

Tom, European society can stand only so much stress.

fishee Mar 23rd, 2006 11:16 AM

I can't recall the exact pricing but many people buy a r/t "value fare" Eurostar ticket (much cheaper than a one-way) and toss the return. My r/t Eurostar tickets between London and Paris were around $90 USD. If you have the flexibility, work with different days until you get the cheapest fare option each way.

LoveItaly Mar 23rd, 2006 12:09 PM

Oh my, I can tell we are going to have another great trip report to read after the holidays!!

cherylforeurope Mar 23rd, 2006 12:15 PM

Anyone need to question why we love Maitaitom? :D Can't wait to read your report!!

Leely Mar 23rd, 2006 12:19 PM

I don't know if they're still doing this, but a couple (?) of years ago we had Christmas Eve dinner at L'Avant Gout. They were also open on Christmas Day but we were in an apartment and I had gotten overly ambitious at the market...

In any case, it was an excellent Christmas Eve dinner, civilized and low-key.

Hmm, maybe not the right place for you. ;)

TexasAggie Mar 23rd, 2006 12:25 PM

Now all Fodorsville will be expecting a Christmas gift from you in the form of another entertaining and informative trip report :-)

kismetchimera Mar 23rd, 2006 12:50 PM

Tom, should the French start singing: La Marseillaise?
Bon Voyage and have a good Pastis for me..and dont forget to eat Mules with pommes de terre frites..Bon Appetit Mon Ami.

anotherjudy Mar 23rd, 2006 12:53 PM

Tom, I can't wait to read y'all's trip report!! Too bad we will have to wait so long. Can't you go sooner?
Judy

gracie04 Mar 23rd, 2006 01:20 PM

Tom,

I'm not sure there is enough wine in Paris for you and your friends. Save some for the rest of us, please! :)

I'm already looking forward to your trip report.

Johanna

Mathieu Mar 23rd, 2006 01:38 PM

Kiss : It might be tough to eat a 'mule'(you may have meant 'moules') but I wouldn't put it past Tom !

On y va, monsieur !

maitaitom Mar 23rd, 2006 01:42 PM

"It might be tough to eat a 'mule'"

Mathieu, I'd probably only finish 50%. Of course that wouldn't be the first half assed thing I've ever done (of course, eating half a mule would really only consitute a quarter ass...very confusing).
((H))

Chicago_Heather Mar 23rd, 2006 01:48 PM

Just when I was too depressed from the conclusion of laartiste's France/Italy trip report, a bright star beckons on the horizon ...

kismetchimera Mar 23rd, 2006 02:16 PM

Mea Culpa mattiew, i am a terrible typist..I wanted to say : Moules..

Tom I hope that the Good Lord gave you good teeth!!:)

Marianna Mar 23rd, 2006 02:33 PM

That was the best and funniest trip announcement I have ever read here!
It's too bad we have to wait so long for the trip report.

Have a great trip, Maitaitom and Mai TaiTracy!

Intrepid1 Mar 23rd, 2006 04:37 PM

Please do not cause any more "riots" or get frustrated and burn your rental car.

maitaitom Mar 24th, 2006 09:29 AM

Thanks for nice comments on post, but
I really would appreciate a little help, especialy when it comes to Champagne (train and perhaps a good place to take a tour), and also places for a Christmas dinner.

Looking at its website, thisseems like it might be the first year Vaux le Vicomte is doing a Christmas thing, but if not, I'd love feedback on that, too.

Merci!
((H))

Mathieu Mar 24th, 2006 09:44 AM

Tom : Yes, the quartering thing is confusing indeed, but if you must do it - and I've heard that the mules from the Basque region are particularly tender - make sure you eat the right quarter : The Latin quarter.

Salut !

Leely Mar 24th, 2006 09:54 AM

Tom,
As I said earlier, I did a lot of research (chowhound, egullet) on the same topic and then ended up bailing on making yet *another* reservation. What are you looking to spend for Christmas dinner?

FYI, the Beaubourg is open Christmas Day and so is the Jewish museum. We had a wonderful day, walking to Place des Vosges, through the Marais, hitting the aforementioned museums. Best Christmas ever, and the only gifts we exchanged were chocolates.

Have a great time.