Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Breakfast near our Hotel in London - Thistle Charing Cross (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/breakfast-near-our-hotel-in-london-thistle-charing-cross-486538/)

monicapileggi Nov 17th, 2004 11:13 AM

Breakfast near our Hotel in London - Thistle Charing Cross

Are there any inexpensive places to have breakfast? I have a list of places for lunch and dinner, but not breakfast - won't do the hotel as I'm sure it's pricy.

Thanks!

Monica

JudyC Nov 17th, 2004 04:04 PM

There are quite a few cafes around you could have some pastries/bagels. For quite and nicer place, perhaps you could try "Inn the Park" in St.James Park(5 minutes walk from Charing Cross)they open for brakfast from 8AM, very nice for a morning walk too.

Simpson's In the Strand offers traditional English breakfast, but expensive.

Several places around Leicester Square offer breakfast,but I haven't tried yet.

Actually I really enjoy breakfast at Thistle Charing Cross, the breakfast room on the first floor is light and spacious,food is quite good also.

monicapileggi Nov 18th, 2004 08:48 AM

Thanks Judy. I would imagine the food to be expensive at the hotel??

Monica ((F))

Judyrem Nov 18th, 2004 09:17 AM

Hi Monica, we satyed there and liked it very much. Thet had a breakfast buffet and it was nice. and we did it once. We preferred going out for bagels and sometimes to the station right below us. We would do rolls and such from various places. My DH loved the French bread bkfsts snawiches at the Au Bon Pain type place nearest the entrance in the station...fabulous!!!!

AisleSeat Nov 18th, 2004 09:24 AM

What is a "DH" again?

JudyC Nov 18th, 2004 10:13 AM

Monica, I an afraid I don't know the cost of breakfast, as last 3-4 stays(including last month) I have booked through Londontown.com, it was included.

If you don't mind a little walk, "Pual Boulangerie" at Covent Garden has very good breakfast,they open from 7:30.

monicapileggi Nov 19th, 2004 08:19 AM

Thanks for the additional information. Are there a few eateries at the train station?

Monica ((F))

degas Nov 19th, 2004 09:06 AM

DH means dumb hunk.

machin Nov 19th, 2004 10:47 AM

A male and a DH.

Madison Nov 19th, 2004 12:58 PM

Degas - All this time I thought DH meant "Darling Husband"

vcl Nov 20th, 2004 09:23 AM

I don't know how edible the food is or how reasonable the prices, but I have noticed the restaurant in the Embankment Gardens advertises that it serves breakfast. The locale is certainly charming and not far from your hotel.

ben_haines_london Nov 20th, 2004 11:06 AM

The restaurant in the Embankment Gardens serves a decent tea and cake at a fair price, so that would be looking at. Also the length of Villiers Street has various fast meals places, which may offer breakfast. Anything inside the station costs a lot, as the station management charge high rents. I expect to be there next week, and I shall look at the pedestrianised lane at the east end of St Martin in the Field, north of the Oscar Wsilde monument, for a cheap café. I know a good one north of the National Gallery, on the walk to Leicester Square, but that is perhaps a bit far, ten minutes from the hotel.

Welcome to London

[email protected]

mari5 Nov 20th, 2004 12:24 PM

I too think DH means "darling ( or dear) husband!
It sound kinder anyway, doesn't it?

monicapileggi Nov 23rd, 2004 04:53 AM

Thanks Ben! I look forward to your review.

Thank you everyone!

Monica ((F))

monicapileggi Dec 30th, 2004 04:56 AM

" I expect to be there next week, and I shall look at the pedestrianised lane at the east end of St Martin in the Field, north of the Oscar Wsilde monument, for a cheap café. I know a good one north of the National Gallery, on the walk to Leicester Square, but that is perhaps a bit far, ten minutes from the hotel."

Hi Ben, did you ever get the chance to check out the areas you mentioned? Any good finds?

Thanks!

Monica ((F))

caroline_edinburgh Dec 30th, 2004 07:20 AM

Monica, are you sure breakfast isn't included ? I've stayed in Thistle hotels a lot & breakfast has always been included.

kansas59 Dec 30th, 2004 08:55 AM

Don't know how cheap and on the fly you want to get with breakfast but I seem to recall that there is a Tesco's (gocery store) and Marks & Spencer (with food/takeout department) that are both on the fringe of Covent Garden area. Just in case you want to stock basic breakfast items in your room. As others have mentioned there are some small cafes on Villiers and in the Covent Garden area that you might want to look into.

monicapileggi Dec 30th, 2004 10:45 AM

I got my hotel via Priceline, so it's not included.

Good idea about the grocery stores. I do want to go as inexpensive as possible since London is expensive.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Happy New Year.

Monica ((F))

rj007 Dec 30th, 2004 03:36 PM

Monica,

You may want to try a B&B on a future visit to London. Breakfast is included, of course. Much cheaper than a hotel. The money I save by staying in a B&B in the suburbs pays for my plane ticket. Another vote for the grocery stores. Lots of ways to save money in London. I've been back one month and miss it. Can't wait to get back!

caroline_edinburgh Dec 31st, 2004 02:05 AM

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this so I'll brave it - there is a McDonald's on the Strand. I know, I know... but it is cheap.