Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Breakfast cereals in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/breakfast-cereals-in-paris-938599/)

Jim_Hofman Jun 10th, 2012 05:39 PM

Breakfast cereals in Paris

We are going to Paris and for dietary purposes want to remain on spoon sized shredded wheat and raisin bran. Does anyone know if these cereals are available in Paris? If so, which supermarkets? Merci!

Nottingham Jun 10th, 2012 05:56 PM

Think I've seen them at the FranPrix----also, Monoprix.......Bon Marche's Le Grande Epicerie has a section of USA products also.

Surfergirl Jun 10th, 2012 06:53 PM

If you can't find it at FranPrix or Monoprix (and my recollection is Monoprix has a pretty good selection of American cereals), you can always try Thanksgiving in the Marais or The Real McCoy near Invalides.

If you're not going to be gone long, you might want to stock up on the spoon sized shredded wheat, which will be harder to find than the raisin bran.

kerouac Jun 10th, 2012 09:32 PM

I have never seen raisin bran in a normal supermarket, but you will find that more than half of the cereals in the supermarket are aimed at adults requiring fiber and similar stuff and of course the other ones are the sugary horrors aimed at kids, but without the weird food coloring. There is absolutely no need to go to one of the import stores if you are not a fanatic.

Phread Jun 10th, 2012 10:18 PM

You can not get Raisin Bran in Paris. I have not paid attention the Shredded Wheat, but you won't find it in the regular, neighborhood places. You used to be able to get All Bran, but I haven't looked lately.
However, Kerouac is right, and there are plenty of high fibre options.

Carlux Jun 11th, 2012 05:04 AM

Here is the Kellogg's French site, which clearly shows All-Bran, but not Raisin Bran. So bring a bag of raisins. They also make a really good Special K here, with 'fruits rouges' - dried strawberries, raspberries, etc., which is better than I remember in North America, and certainly better than South Africa, where I have also tried it.

http://www.kelloggs.fr/index.php?opt...rques#/allbran

kerouac Jun 11th, 2012 05:13 AM

There are at least six versions of Special K but then there are also the endless varieties of 'crunchy' or 'flaky' muesli with or without fruit, nuts, raisins or chocolate shavings.

Gretchen Jun 11th, 2012 05:26 AM

Try dried prunes!! Croissants are just too good to pass up on the morn!! LOL

ira Jun 11th, 2012 05:31 AM

Hi JH,

If it's fiber that you are after, I have found WalMart's Equate Fiber Supplement to work well.

Its main ingredient is inulin.

((I))

cornelius01 Jun 11th, 2012 05:42 AM

How about taking a probiotic every day, lots of fresh fruit, and pain au cereal every morning....worked fine for us and even cheese as it is made with raw milk and digests well.

jamikins Jun 11th, 2012 05:51 AM

You may find some of the same cereals, however they are not the same as the North American counterparts - Special K is different in the UK, as are Corn Flakes. Just more of an FYI because we were surprised when we first moved here :P

wasa Jun 11th, 2012 06:21 AM

Oh sure, any supermarket. There are loads of health food places too. When we first came to France 23 years ago there were no cereals at all.

kerouac Jun 11th, 2012 09:20 AM

Corn flakes were on sale everywhere when I was in France in 1964.

Cathinjoetown Jun 11th, 2012 09:24 AM

Kellogg's Fruit and Fibre with bran flakes is available everywhere, Nestlé makes a similar product.

HappyTrvlr Jun 11th, 2012 01:00 PM

They were handing out free samples of a fiber type Raisin Bran when we were in France recentnrly

HappyTrvlr Jun 11th, 2012 01:01 PM

There is a Carrefour City in the 7th on Rue Dominique with similar type of cereals.

Dukey1 Jun 11th, 2012 01:06 PM

I hope the OP knows just how much SUGAR is in the two cereals mentioned. IMO being in Europe would allow the perfect opportunity to try some truly high fiber/low sugar products for breakfast but hey, to each their own.

cigalechanta Jun 11th, 2012 01:08 PM

Why not simply put the two boxes in your checked luggage, so you are not disappointed in the French varieties.

Underhill Jun 11th, 2012 01:09 PM

You can get Wheetabix at the Grand Epicerie in the Bon Marché department store.

kerouac Jun 11th, 2012 02:10 PM

I think we need to stop getting too excited giving advice until Jim_Hofman checks in again to acknowledge that we are not all wasting our time.