Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   breakfast and lunch in Paris! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/breakfast-and-lunch-in-paris-237057/)

pauloscar Jul 5th, 2002 05:18 PM

breakfast and lunch in Paris!

Hi!Although I often visit this site,it is the first time I've sent a post!So,here are my two questions!Firsly,I would like to know<BR>in which roads of Paris should I look for inexpensive food?<BR>Would you suggest a supermarket in central Paris that I could do some shopping?Hope to receive your answers,Thank you!<BR>

Jim Rosenberg Jul 5th, 2002 06:01 PM

You will find small supermarkets all over the place (Franprix is a name I've visited in several different locations). But if you're looking for something to eat, I would suggest sticking with boulangeries, charcuteries, etc. and more modest brasseries. Just get out of the main tourist areas and you'll have less expensive options galore.

Christina Jul 5th, 2002 06:18 PM

Are you looking for a grocery store to buy food to eat while you are there, or to take home or for gifts? Of course you can get interesting candies, jams, cookies, etc. in any grocery store but for more special collections, try the gourmet store Hediard on place de la Madeleine (or Fauchon, also there) or on rue de Bac. The Grande Epicerie section of the dept. store Bon Marche in the 7th has about anything you would want. For more mundane groceries, the Monoprix grocery stores are around in many places and decent, Champion is an average, nothing special chain, Franprix as Jim mentions is real cheap but nothing fancy. For inexpensive food, Monoprix is good; any place outside the expensive areas (ie, rue de Buci is expensive) will be cheaper, of course. There are so many small groceries with good produce and other things all over Paris, that you will likely want something near where you are staying rather than going all over Paris for food. There are outdoor markets on some streets 1-2 days a week for fresh produce and some others things, like cheeses. What do you really want to buy, and where?

ebp Jul 5th, 2002 08:53 PM

marks and spencer across galleries lafayette is not bad for quick grocery shopping. i grab ready-made sandwiches from them when in a hurry.

u Jul 6th, 2002 01:05 AM

ebp: i understood Marks & Spenser closed its Paris location (among others outside the U.K.). its official website, www.marksandspenser.u.k., lists no locations in france.

BTilke Jul 6th, 2002 06:39 AM

Yes, Marks & Sparks is gone from France. Also from Belgium. They are missed! <BR>Supermarkets abound, but I hope you're looking for something to take home rather than to eat while you're there! In the Latin Quarter, you can find numerous places with cheap set meals or take-away (i.e., crepes, frites). The Rue St. Andre des Arts as it flows into rue Buci is one example. The rue Cler in the 7th has plenty of inexpensive places to grab a bite as well--either eat there or take your lunch over to the Champ de Mars and lunch in view of the Eiffel Tower. The Carousel du Louvre has a food court. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Alice Jul 6th, 2002 10:24 AM

At the risk of being flamed, I can say the food at the Flunch (that's the name!) cafeteria was perfectly adequate for the price. You can wander about choosing from salad/fruit bar, several hot entrees with side dishes/frites, rolls, individual wine bottles, or soft drinks (hey, with ice!) for maybe $7-8. The one I know about is at the les Halles shopping center. It was full of both French kids and tourists - the cashier spoke French then I found out she was an American student living there. A fine place to tank up espec. if you want salad/veggies in a quick meal; better than McD's. p.s. just don't use the wrong dish at the wrong bar, as the matron will come scold you!

Melissa Jul 6th, 2002 04:40 PM

I found the Rue Cler to be a wealth of yummy inexpensive food. There is a crepe stand run by an unshaven and sort of gruff guy there, but the crepes are cheap and so delish! Also good for rotisserie chicken (the combo special is a good deal). The neighborhood of Rue St. Dominique is also good for inexpensive restaurants. I found the area behind the Pantheon (rue des Ecoles Polytechnique) is also eclectic and inexpensive.<BR><BR>If you can find Ed, L'Epicier, or similar grocery stores, those are also good inexpensive places to go.