Reload this Page >

Break from Paris—Amboise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Sue

Dear Fodorites, I want to break my Paris stay in April with a short two-night stay somewhere else and I have about decided on Amboise. I will be going by train and would like a small place where I could walk to a couple of sites (chateau, Clos Luce) on the full day I will be there, with a few cafes, shops, etc. Mainly a little down time. (I’ve seen many chateaux, including Amboise, but it was with a student tour and I didn’t feel I had enough time there.)<BR><BR>After spending days searching and reading here, I think Amboise might fit the bill (any suggestions appreciated, of course) and the Hotel Belle Vue, also. I am not into antiques and luxury, but do appreciate an elevator (heart condition) and love being on the water (my first choice was St. Jean de Luz, but I had to shorten the stay). Any advice you might have to contribute, caveats, etc., would be greatly appreciated.<BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Sue

Forgot to say I'm going in April.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:39 PM
greg

I have stayed at HOtel Belle Vue at the foot of the Chateau Amboise. It had an elevator and no luxury ambiance of any sort I can remember. But...<BR><BR>The Chateau Amboise, even though it is almost at the back of the hotel, is up hill from the hotel, certainly several time more than going up the stairs at the hotel. Same for Clos Luce, while it is within a walking distance, is hardly just around the corner from the hotel.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Sue

Greg, thanks for the heads-up on hills. That's the problem with maps. Any other suggestions? Other posters have recommended the Blason (in town on the place Richelieu).

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Sue

Anyone else? I noticed St. Cirq recommended the Lion d'Or, also on the river.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:49 AM
BTilke

If you decide against Amboise, another place worth considering is Angers. It's at the western edge of the Loire Valley, but is one of the most pleasant small cities in France with lots of good restaurants, parks, shops, an interesting castle (VERY old and real working--i.e.--defense castle, not a pretty Loire Valley jewelbox castle). One of the cities I'd consider living in if we moved to France from Belgium. <BR>Reachable from Paris easily via TGV.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 01:50 PM
David

If your heart is set on Amboise, don't let a couple of hills stand in your way. You might consider paying cab fare to get up to the castle and out to the Clos de Luce. Better yet, cab out to Clos de Luce and see if you'd be up to walking downhill back to town. If you aren't, arrange for the cabby to come back and get you in awhile. <BR><BR>I spent three weeks this spring in the Loire Valley. I stayed in Anger, Blois, Tour, Saumur, Chinon, Beaugency and Chenonceaux. I stopped in Amboise and Orleans. <BR><BR>Chenonceaux is flat, but there is nothing to do except the castle. <BR><BR>Beaugency doesn't have a castle, but is a pleasant little town with a few sites to see. <BR><BR>I agree with the other poster's recommendation for Anger. The Book of Revelations tapestries at the Chateau are fascinating. Many things to do there or on the slope above the river so it's not necessary to climb too much.<BR><BR>I fell in love with Saumur. Though it's castle is on a hill overlooking the city, the rest of the town is along the Loire and easily negotiable. I took a small sail boat ride down the Loire which was interesting. <BR><BR>Blois was fascinating too. I really like their museum of the resistance from WWII. Unfortunately it has hills too.<BR><BR>Chinon was a very narrow town along the Loire with the castle overlooking. It was pleasant too.<BR><BR>Tour was more metropolitan than some of the other cities. It has a nice art museum and the cathedral is spectacular. It's a relatively flat city though and would be easy to get about. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Sue

Gosh, I think this thread has been taken over by hills. I do walk up hills and down, too (not eagerly or joyfully), but I prefer elevators in hotels for luggage and forgetting your umbrella. (Don't want to be exhausted before I even set out!)<BR><BR>I must agree with you--I love Angers (especially the Lur&ccedil;at tapestries)--spent 5 weeks there on a U of Iowa French program. But on this two-day getaway, I was looking for somewhere new, smaller, more "do-able." I did like the looks of Saumur, which I saw in passing, and Blois was another place I was considering.<BR><BR>BTilke and David, I really appreciate your help and advice. I'm quite touched at the kindness and thoughtfulness of your posts. I don't usually post questions--I tend to "lurk" and search; maybe this experience will bring me out of my shell.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:37 AM
curt

Yes I can recommend Amboise as a very good base for sight seeing. We stayed at the Manior Les Minimes, right at foot of Amboise chateau and it is a wonderful place. Nicely redone manor house, with large rooms and good breakfast service if you wish (no other meals). Has nice grounds and private parking if you have car (which is best for getting around to the other areas to go chateau hopping).<BR><BR>The Blason has had good reviews. It is right in town. We did eat at the Blason and the meal was excellent and very reasonable in price. I can also recommend a visit to a really neat bar on the island in the river just across the bridge from the chateau. It is called Le Shaker, and as the name imples pours really nice cocktails. They also offer a nice selection of beers and wines and a good small menu of pub type foods. The view back to the chateau is excellent. One hint - parking is tricky at Le Shaker, but if the weather is nice one could walk over from Manior Les Minimes. Be sure to visit Clos Luce. It is very well done and worth the time. Overall we really enjoyed out time in Amboise and found that we could do day trips and see manhy chateaux and be back in time for dinner and drinks. Good choice.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 11:32 AM
topboy

top it to the top top top now for sue to see

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:24 PM
Sue

Thanks, topper. And thanks, Curt. Actually I had seen some of your earlier comments and Le Shaker is on my list (now I'm committed)! You said Manoir des Minimes is at the foot of the chateau. Is it easy to get from hotel to the chateau entrance on foot, too? It is great to be able to ask these pesky little questions!