Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bray, Enniskerry, Greystones (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bray-enniskerry-greystones-441671/)

amyprib Jun 11th, 2004 02:42 PM

Bray, Enniskerry, Greystones

Hi all,

A little bird told me there might be some roadwork construction going on between Bray and Dublin. Any locals know how that's going?

Also, in your opinions, which of the 3 towns listed above would be your preference to stay for 2 nites, regarding location, atmosphere, things-to-do, etc?? We want to be close enough to Dublin, yet also easy driving to Glendalough and area.

Also, any recommendations on BBs to stay in any of those 3 towns?
Thanks in advance!

cailin Jun 14th, 2004 01:08 AM

There's only a small area of construction work going on at the moment between Bray and Dublin - just after the Loughlinstown roundabout. It doesn't cause big delays though. The worst roadworks on the N11 at the moment are at Ashford and Rathnew which is further along - just before Wicklow town.

Of those three, I would choose Greystones to stay in. It's a lovely seaside town with a gorgeous blue flag beach. If you're staying there, try The Hungry Monk for food. It's also on the DART line which is handy for getting into the city centre, as you really don't want to be driving in to the centre of Dublin. Enniskerry is also very nice but a bit less accessible unless you want to drive into the city.

SiobhanP Jun 14th, 2004 01:17 AM

Would you not stay in between Glendolough and Dublin somewhere closer? I think its quite a way outside of Dublin. You could get a B&B in Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock with parking and then it would be easy to set off to Glendolough. Also if you stay closer to the city you could always do a bus tour to Glendolough and ditch the car. Rnniskerry is harder to get into Dublin as it only has a bus service and may not run often. A friend of mine who loived in enniskerry alwzays made her way over to bray to get into Dublin via the Dart. Brau would be last on mmy list to stay in.

waffle18 Jun 15th, 2004 06:32 AM

Chirp, chirp, Amy!

Last time I was there the road works between Bray and Dublin were quite extensive. Seems they may have moved further up the road now though.

Anyone else with first hand, this year knowledge?

Ta very much,

Wendy

SiobhanP Jun 15th, 2004 06:42 AM

As Cailin said it should not cause any delay as its not major at the moment. We both live here in Dublin so we would not steer you wrong :-)

cailin Jun 15th, 2004 06:49 AM

yes, I live in Dublin and use that road regularly to visit my parents who live in Wicklow. Believe me - I'm right!!

amyprib Jun 15th, 2004 11:38 AM

Thanks for your responses! (you too wendy bird :)

We are off to Ireland in about 50hrs...

btw, we decided to stay in Greystones. We hadn't thought too much about Dun Laoghaire or Blackrock until you mentioned it, cuz originally we were looking for a more centerpoint between Dublin and Glendalough. But we were getting down to the wire (yesterday) and already had some enquiry responses back from Greystones, so we took it.

If we had a little more time (we started off a little late enquiring about lodging), we woulda looked into the places closer to Dublin city. I'm sure it'll be a great trip no matter what. Thanks to everyone everywhere, I've certainly taken many, many suggestions from this forum.
I'll post a trip summary when I return in case anyone's interested.