Brasserie San Quentin, London

Feb 6th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Carolyn

Brasserie San Quentin, London

Has anyone ever eaten at this place in London? I came across it as a possible pre-theater spot and am curious. Thanks!

Feb 6th, 2002, 05:00 AM
kate

haven't heard of it (I'm a Londoner who eats out regularly), but according to my bible (harden's restaurant guide), it gets poor ratings for food and atmosphere, and says;;;

"Since Chez gerard took over (a chain) this authentically French Knightsbridge Brasserie has become increasingle disappointing and is not nearly as busy as it used to be".

It's also not in Theatreland. I'd look up places in Covent Garden/Soho if you want to be able to walk to the theatre afterwards

Feb 6th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Lindsey

Hi Carolyn - I ate there on a business lunch a couple of months ago. the food was OK, not spectacular and it was a little expensive for what it was. I found the dining room to be a little too dated for my taste (it probably looked great 15 years ago) but the service was good. However, if you're considering it for pre-theatre you should know that it's not very central to the West End - it's in Gloucester Road in south-west London, so you might want to consider some where a little closer to the theatre. Depending upon your budget, I recommend either J Sheekey (for fantastic fish) or Mon Plaisir (for great value set menu French). Hope that helps.

Feb 6th, 2002, 05:51 AM
mimi taylor

All around blandsville!

Feb 6th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Carolyn

My gosh! Many thanks to the posters who saved me from making a Valentine's dinner mistake! Where is J.Sheeky's located?

Feb 6th, 2002, 09:01 AM
kate

J Sheekey's may be out if you're planning a Valentine's Day Meal. It's the "in" fish restaurant of the moment and I too tried to get a table for Valentine's Day and couldn't even get a reservation for 10.30pm.

Although you may be lucky if you're planning to eat really early. It's smack in the middle of theatreland, 22 St Martin's Court, Covent Garden, tel: +44 20 7240 2565.

Feb 7th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Carolyn

Kate, Thanks so much for the specifics on J. Sheeky's! Guess I'll have to try for a res. on a regular Lenten "fish day"!

Feb 7th, 2002, 09:20 AM
michele

Another vote for J. Sheekey's , also owned by the Ivy. I couldn't get a table at the Ivy and was sent to Sheekey's--no table there either, but we ate at the bar ( I enjoy that anyway--it's always fun to chat with or just watch the bartender). Great food, friendly atmosphere, highly recommend it.