Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

brains, tripe liver & other good organ food.Anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:34 PM
rich

Will be in paris & lyon in Oct. & we love all foods. If it,s not moving we,ll eat it. if it,s moving we,ll kill it and eat it. Anyone with restaurant ideas for the specil foods that most people can't st and?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:50 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Amourettes go down well ............ side dish of escargots, maybe ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:13 PM
aaa

The French do SWEETBREADS and they truly are delicious!!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Doug

Will this stuff make you sick? Sounds good but worry about the after effects.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Julie

Chez Clovis on Rue Berger facing the Les Halles park area and across from St. Eustache church is an old fashioned bistro. They have tete de veau (calves head with brains, etc.) and marrow bones that are about 10 inches long, plit in half lengthwise so you can scoop out the wonderful, goopy, fatty marrow. Delicious. Recommend the whole place highly. Also recommend the book I believe called Paris Bistros by Hamburger. It details the dishes that area available at the various old time and modern bistros in the city. There's another book I'll recommend as soon as I find it and can post its title--lists restaurants by dishes as major headings rather than by arrondisement as so many others do.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Sarabeth

We were in Paris in July. My husband is much more into that stuff than me. The two remarkable meals he had were during our visit to Le Grand Vefour. He ordered 'tete de veau' (veal's head) which was actually part of the face and the brains. He was congratulated upon ordering the dish and also when he finished it....it seems as though not many Americans order it. He enjoyed the cheek part more than the brains....The other dish was at a restaurant called Le Petit Zinc in the 6th...he had liver and really enjoyed that as well...have a great time

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:02 AM
aaa

Had Veal Cheeks at Le Cirque in NYC--OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!<BR><BR>I couldn't believe they tasted so fabulous!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Hannibal Lector

I recommend a good Shiraz Cabernet with the young calves brain and face. Bon Appetite!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Pol Roger

Hannibal, surely you jest. A Shiraz-Cabernet blend (that would have to be Australian, right?) would be far too fruity and overblown for tete de veau. I'm sure you meant to recommend something like a nice red burgundy, or perhaps a champagne - blanc de noirs, of course. Naughty boy.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Julie

The other book I recommend is Gourmet Paris by Emmanuel Rubin. Mine is copyright 1999 but the restaurants involved are pretty much fixtures and probably don't change a lot, so I'd not worry if there isn't a more recent version available. List restaurants specializing in Andouillette (something I have to admit I can't get into), Calf's Head, Corsican Specialties--including goat, my personal off the beaten track favorite, and Variety Meats. In the latter category they list Les Amognes in the 11th with roast pig's head, oxtail and calf's sweetmeats (separate, not together), Marie-Louise in the 18th with porkmeat headcheese, simmered claf's kidneys and ox tongue, Pharamond in the 1st for tripe, Le Petit Zinc in the 6th for liver, Le Saint Amarante in the 12th for pig's cheeks, Le Villaret in the 11th for calf's tongue, pig's trotter and suckling pigs' cheeks and the old standby Au Pied de Cochon in the 1st for pigs tail, snout ear and trotters--everything but the squeal. This is really a good book for info on suck delicacies. Enjoy. You are on a worthy search.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 12:02 PM
avy

Ewwwwwwww, that is so disgusting!! I can't believe I just kept reading and reading. Do people really eat that? (this is a serious question)

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 01:19 PM
ttt

Yes, they sure do- and they are delicacies that are delicious---

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Melissa

Mmmm! That is how *I* eat, Rich.<BR><BR>Anyway, one thing you should know is, out of the 4 stomachs used for tripe, only 3 are sold in the United States (I don't know why). All four are sold in France. So if you order (for example) a tripe stew in Normandy, you will get 4 different textures. <BR><BR>If you can take super-super-rich food, at Au Pied de Cochon in Paris, there is a pig's trotter stuffed with duck liver that was quite wonderful. I don't know that most people can finish the whole thing because it is so rich, though.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:34 PM
yumm

My favorite restaurant is the 'Deriere du Couchon' in the 19th. The delicasies offered there are beyond reproach.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 08:10 AM
steve

WIth the possibility of mad cows disease, why would anyone eat brains?

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:55 AM
clairobscur

Yes, sure I do eat that, and I do like all the things described (apart from the tete de veau) a lot. Unfortunately, brains aren't served anymore, following the Mad Cow Disease (I'm very surprised that people would have been served it this year, by the way...it has been forbidden to sold it for quite a long time, now..I assume they're mistaken [at best]...pork's brain can still be sold, but it's a very uncommon dish)

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 12:17 PM
francesca

There's a very good little restaurant on the Passage de la Bonne Graine (metro Ledru-Rollin) called Le Passage. It has a huge selection of andouillette, the French tripe sausage. It also has lots of other delicious things for those who don't indulge (me, for example). But if you like tripe, you might like this little place which is also charming and reasonably priced and tucked away in an interesting neighborhood that is not swarming (yet) with tourists.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 07:35 AM
belch

Cabernet, Shiraz, Burgundy......nonsense my good fellow.<BR>When enjoying calf cheek, goat brains, porcupine anus, or muskrat penis, surely a chilled glass of moose urine would go nicely??

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Julie

With the spread of Mad Cow in Europe and especially in France - I would stay away from all organ meats completely considering that is where you are most likley to contract any diseases from.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Julie

With the spread of Mad Cow in Europe and especially in France - I would stay away from all organ meats completely considering that is where you are most likley to contract any diseases from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -