Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Boutique hotel in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/boutique-hotel-in-paris-542172/)

suki_7 Jul 6th, 2005 03:43 PM

Boutique hotel in Paris

I'm looking for a nice boutique hotel to stay at when I go to Paris. I have been recommended Duminy-Vendome and Hotel Lautrec Opera. Which one is nicer?

francophile03 Jul 6th, 2005 05:13 PM

The Lautrec Opera looks charming, but in my opinion, I wouldn't consider either hotel to be a boutique hotel.

In that area I'd choose instead Hotel Lavoisier.

Ronda Jul 6th, 2005 07:24 PM

My girlfriend recently stayed at Hotel Madison and really enjoyed it:

www.hotelmadison.com

Don't know if it is in the area you want though.

Underhill Jul 6th, 2005 07:46 PM

There are any number of good boutique hotels in Paris. Do you prefer a particular area? How much do you want to spend?

suki_7 Jul 7th, 2005 04:10 AM

Underhill, I haven't been to Paris for 6 years so I don't have a favourite area. My budget is probably around 150 euros a night.
Francophile and Ronda I will look at the websites for Lavoisier and hotel madison.

ira Jul 7th, 2005 07:30 AM

Hi Suki,

Is that 150E/dbl or single?

oberost Jul 7th, 2005 07:31 AM

Try Le Sainte Beauve in 6e. My wife and I have stayed there and have been very pleased- nice neighborhood, near Metro and good restaurants, very friendly desk.

Underhill Jul 7th, 2005 12:55 PM

Others have recommended the Hôtel des Saints-Pères. Your money will go farther on the Left Bank than on the Right!

suki_7 Jul 7th, 2005 11:30 PM

Hi Ira,to answer your question, I hope to find accommodation for roughly 150 to 200 euros a night for a double room (not per person).
Ronda, Hotel Madison looks really nice. I have emailed them but haven't heard back yet. I will also look at the other hotels recommended.

suki_7 Jul 8th, 2005 05:49 PM

Hi Underhill, I just wanted to ask if you are familiar with the hotel Luxembourg Parc? If so, would you recommend that hotel over the hotel Madison? I am trying to decide between the two.

Underhill Jul 8th, 2005 08:17 PM

The Madison is a 3* hotel, while the Luxembourg Parc is a 4*--with prices reflecting the difference in rating. That said, the Luxembourg Parc looks very nice; while we keep going back to the Madison, we might give the newer hotel a try sometime.

I'm afraid you probably won't get a double at either hotel for 150€ a night, unless you're there in July and August and can snag a discounted room. We got an Orbitz rate of 220€ at the Madison last September, but the rates have gone up since then.

I've read good things about the Hôtel des Sts-Pères, which might be more in your price range.

francophile03 Jul 8th, 2005 08:29 PM

Just fyi if you travel during summer you can get a nice 25% discount at the Luxembourg Parc.

suki_7 Jul 9th, 2005 07:23 PM

Underhill, you must really like the Madison Hotel to keep going back. That's a good sign. I only go back to the same hotel if I really love it.

fluffy Jul 10th, 2005 01:01 PM

Suki,
I can also persoanlly vouch for le Madsion.You can read numerous positive comments by entering Madiosn hotel Paris, in the search box.This is a lovely property w/ large rooms and a top notch staff.
Best of luck
Fluffy

suki_7 Jul 11th, 2005 12:02 AM

Thanks fluffy. I'm really excited about staying there.

suki_7 Jul 11th, 2005 05:47 PM

Hi fluffy, I just wanted to ask if you have experienced any rudeness from the staff at the Madison Hotel. Some of their emails are quite abrupt. I also read some really bad reviews on tripadvisor. Some people complained about noise and views of brick walls. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Travelnut Jul 11th, 2005 06:40 PM

"...Some of their emails are quite abrupt.."

how many emails are you getting? I usually get two: one with an offer in response to my inquiry, and one with a confirmation after I've accepted the offer. What else is needed?

travelbunny Jul 11th, 2005 06:48 PM

..a bit of sticker shock if you haven't been in Paris in 6 years. 150E is just (barely)***. Boutique conjures up small exclusive and although your budget is adequate, I am afraid not in the boutique range for central Paris.

francophile03 Jul 11th, 2005 06:55 PM

suki7, I don't quite understand what you mean about the Madison's emails being abrupt. I did email the hotel before and I do know they were very polite in their mail including a salutation and a closing and of course it included the rate and all that information.

I have gotten emails from other hotels which I felt were abrupt. By that I mean something like this:

Double room 164 euros per night
Breakfast 11 euros
city Tax 1 euros

jules4je7 Jul 11th, 2005 07:03 PM

Suki, people are busy, particularly at a busy hotel. If I want an e-mail that resembles a hug, I always just e-mail my Mom. :)

Jules