Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bought tickets to Spain!! Now for the details...

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are headed to Spain for 2 weeks in October, criss-crossing itineraries with my parents so everybody can have the vacation they want but still spend time together.

This is what we have planned, and some of the many questions I have:

Days 1-4: Barcelona
What's the best way to travel to Mallorca? Saw a 30E flight on Iberia. Isn't there a reasonably-priced scenic ferry, or something?

Day 5: Mallorca
Should we return to Barcelona at night or sleep in Mallorca?

Day 6: Travel/Granada
Found a $137 Air Europa flight from PMI to GRX. Is this good? Any other suggestions?

Day 7: Granada (Alhambra!!)
The day tour is a must for us, and we would like to see it at night also, as someone suggested, but the night tour price listed at alhambra.org is a bit steep. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking the night tour may not happen for us, so I'd like to take an evening/night train this day to Seville.

Days 8-10: Seville

Days 11-12: Madrid
What's the best way to get here?

Day 13: Day trip to Toledo
This is a bus thing, right? Can I book online?

Day 14: Madrid

Day 15: afternoon flight out of Madrid back home.

Okay, so, are we crazy? I'm 25 and my boyfriend's 32. We're both experienced travellers.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions offered. I'm so excited!! Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:50 AM

The Mallorca question : yes , there is a ferry (not scenic, just the sea and it takes almost 8 hours, so, if you really want to do it for a day, take the plane but anyway, overnight is advisable
Turn back to Barcelona and book a flight to Granada from there, it's cheaper. www.vueling.com
Seville-Madrid answer : Ave train You will be in Madrid in 3 1/2 hours.
If you want to do a day trip to Toledo you can do it by bus or train with the new high speed train. I cannot help you more on that because I went there with the old trains some years ago.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Sounds nice. We took the bus to Toledo, but at the time, the train wasn't oeprating. The bus was very quick (about 50 min, i think it may have made 1 stop). AT the time, I found very specific information on this board as to exactly where to go (which ticket window, etc) in the bus station for the toledo bus. We followed the direction, and just bought the tickets the morning we went. It was very easy. It may have been more confusing if I didn't get all the details in advance.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Maribel, who is a pster here and SPain expert has her own site where you can download her guides, maribelsguides.com. I beleive that's where I got my Toledo info from. There's also much more valuable info in them as well.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I got an unbelievable deal on Veuling from Barcelona to Granada (thanks, Kenderina!), and both the bus and train options sound great (thanks, MFNYC). You are going to tell me I'm crazy, but I think I'm going to forego Mallorca for two days at Paris Disneyland since the price difference is very minimal.