Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Bought a cheap flight to Naples.... now what?!

Bought a cheap flight to Naples.... now what?!

Jun 29th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Bought a cheap flight to Naples.... now what?!

Hi All!
In a hasty moment of finding a dreamy cheap direct flight to Naples...I booked it, without researching. Now after going through the forums.. I'm realizing that Naples:

A. Isn't a great base for seeing Rome/Amalfi/Capri
B. Seems a little sketchy/intense/not as dreamy

Are there any suggestions for how to fix this trip? What would you guys do? Go straight to Rome? Our initial plan was a few days in Naples, a few days in Rome, a night in Capri or Ischia and back to Naples.
Always appreciate the advice here.
Thanks in advance.
-Nic
Jun 29th, 2014, 08:52 AM

How much time do you have? What are your interests? When is the trip taking place? Is this your first trip to Italy? Are you willing to rent a car?

A day on one of the islands is not enough, in my opinion. You could easily spend a week on Ischia.
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:02 AM

We really enjoyed Naples! It's a bit edgy but great food and tonnes of atmosphere. We were worried about pickpockets etc but had no issues at all. We took a photo walk and the local that led it told us that Naples had a bad rep but that in the last decade had really been cleaned up so petty crime wasn't such an issue.

You can see our photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pug_gi...7633185001263/

The archeology museum is definitely worth a visit...I would spend a few days in Naples...how long is your trip?
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ek,

The quick + dirty:

-12 day trip, 1st week of September (this year)
-my 3rd time in italy, my partner's 1st time
-interests: a mix of beach and city (art/food/history etc)
-less willing to rent a car (manual transmission handicapped)

That's good to hear about Ischia. I would absolutely book more beach time.
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jamikins- that's refreshing to hear. Would you recommend your tour guide from Naples?
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:12 AM

Just because you're flying into Naples doesn't mean you need to stay there. If you don't think it will be your cup of tea, stay perhaps in Sorrento, where you have good access for day-trips to Pompeii, Herculaneum, ferries to Capri, buses and ferries to the villages of the Amalfi Coast, and Naples if you want to take a taste of the city - plus, the archaeological museum, as has been mentioned, isn't to be missed, especially if you are interested in Pompeii. Spend a few days in Rome, spend a few days in Sorrento or somewhere no the Amalfi Coast, see the island of your choice, and you've got a great trip.

Even location-wise, Naples isn't a good base if you want to see Rome - you're more than an hour from Rome by fast train, costing 20 euros per direction or more, so you wouldn't want to commute in to Rome from there. Plan on two bases, one in Rome and one near but not in Naples.
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:18 AM

Is this only air fare to does it include hotel? If it is only air fare then it is a great place to land to spend time on the amalfi coast, Capri, Pompeii and see Naples. If it includes hotel you can easily see Pompeii, spend a day in Positano. Check out ferries from Naples to near by islands. for me there is too much to do to also see rome, but there good train service between the two cities.

Have fun!
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:47 AM

With only 12 days, I would skip Rome if you think you will be able to visit at a future time.

Stay a few days in Naples, then take the boat to Ischia. Spend 4 nights there, then take boat to Sorrento (if possible) or Naples. Spend your remaining time in one of the Amalfi Coast towns, being sure to book hotels ahead of time. Then return to Naples for flight home.

It is easy to get around Ischia by public bus. There are lovely beaches, a volcano, wineries, pretty towns, and lavish thermal spring parks.
Jun 29th, 2014, 10:01 AM

OMG, IMHO, Naples is a perfect place to land! Especially for the AC, it could not be better. The airport is right in the edge of Naples with a cheap, very quick shuttle bus directly to the train station and on to the port. There are taxis but you do not need them except to get to a hotel. The airport is not large and is very easy to navigate.

There is a bus service (can't think of the name right now - Curri something - will look it up) directly from the airport to Sorrento (not actually on the AC, but a good base). You could easily settle in there and do day trips to Positano, Pompeii, Amalfi, Herculaneum, Capri, etc. Local Circumvesuvianna train gets you to Pompeii and Herculaneum easily and it is cheap. If times of the bus from the airport are not good, you could hire a driver or take the shuttle to the train station to go to Sorrento.

OTOH, you could taxi to the port in Naples and catch a ferry to Capri for a couple of nights, then over to Positano or Amalfi, etc.

You could also take the train to Salerno, then bus or ferry to Amalfi, though after a long flight, you might not want to deal with logistics.

September is a perfect time to go, crowds less than mid-summer and starting to cool down, but most services still available.

After the AC, take the train up to Rome for a few days (September is perfect), then back to Naples for a night or two before your flight.

Naples is gritty and hectic, but has great museums and good food.

If you got a good price for your ticket, you did great! Regardless, it is the best place to land to visit the AC.
Jun 29th, 2014, 10:45 AM

Don't skip Rome! Spend 3 or 4 nights there and see a handful of sights. You then can return to the Naples train station and take the circum train to Sorrento and travel from there to Amalfi, Capri and/or Pompeii for day trips. You may have done yourself a favor by hastily purchasing those tickets.
Jun 29th, 2014, 10:51 AM

We would highly recommend our tour guide...but he was more geared to photography than history. The focus was to improve our photography and he was excellent for that.

http://www.walkandphoto.com
Jun 29th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Ah, thank you everyone! Honestly, it's great to hear that Naples isn't the bad rap it's been given. Now I can start researching restaurants. I think we're going to to do 3-4 days beach (either Ischia, Cetara or Positano), head up to Rome for 3-4 more days, then finish the trip in Naples. Relaxing enough that we're not cramming too much in (and traveling all over the place), with still getting to do a mix of both tourist sightseeing and wandering around.
Thanks Sassafrass for your enthusiasm! I am SUPER excited for this trip- and the possibilities seem a little endless (never a bad thing).
I'm sure I'll have more questions as it gets closer... but for now- awesome advice.
Jun 29th, 2014, 05:16 PM
WWK

Any chance you can change the tix to fly into Naples, out of Rome? There'd be less backtracking. If you can't, no big deal, because there is a fast train from Naples to Rome that gets you there in just over an hour.

For a first-time visit, I would highly suggest choosing Positano or Amalfi over Ischia or Cetara. Positano is the quintessential Amalfi Coast town, with some of the best views on the coast, and easy access to Amalfi, Ravello, and Capri.

It's not too early to look into availability. Some hotels get booked way ahead by repeat guests.
Jun 29th, 2014, 05:58 PM

The coast is mind blowing beautiful, but don't expect beautiful beaches. Have water shoes for the pebbles.
Jun 29th, 2014, 06:03 PM

If your are finishing in Naples anyway, spend a couple of days and go to Pompeii and/or Herculaneum from there.

The only thing I actually dislike in Naples are taxi drivers. It is the one place I felt they tried to over charge. Make sure of the fare before you get in.

Everyone else was super friendly and food is great.
Jun 30th, 2014, 04:54 AM
WWK

The waterfront area in Naples ( Via Partenope) is pedestrianized and gives you an oasis of calm after touring the city. We really liked the HOTEL EXCELSIOR, right across from the water, but it can be pricey. Check for deals because it was a wonderful location for relaxing ( lovely rooftop bar with great views of the city!) and touring.

Search this Thread