Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

bottled water in the Amalfi coast region?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave for Italy on Tuesday and are trying to work out a few little details. Last time we went to Italy we drank wine at every meal. This time I'm pregnant so that won't work, and I need to make sure to stay hydrated. I'm hoping to find a grocery store in each city (or at least a few cities) to stock up on those big bottles of water.

In Rome these little groceries were plentiful, and we do start our trip with one day in Rome so we could buy a few if needed. Is reasonably priced bottled water/little grocery stores hard to come by in the Amalfi region? (Sorrento, Positano, Capri, Amalfi, Naples)

As a sidenote, I know the tap water is likely safe but I'm afraid to get sick... do you usually drink bottled or tap when you travel to Italy?
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 04:57 PM

I drink tap water all over Europe. No problems.

You'll be able to find small grocery stores all over the AC that sell bottled water. Every town has them. Don't worry about it. If all else fails you can always stop into a bar and get water.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Hi Summerbride:
Things are just as Adrienne said to you,plus,in Amalfi you can refill your bottle of water with fountain water at the main square,it is excellent and very safe!!!Enjoy your stay!!!
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorrento also has water fountains where you can refill your bottle. I just refill my bottle at fountains all over Italy.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:15 PM

I gorged on tap water in Italy when I was pregnant. Now,if you have a history of being sensitive to water outside your normal living area, you might want to drink bottled water, but unless you have some unusual digestive issue, the water all over Italy is fine - delicious, in fact (I think Rome has about the best-tasting water in the world!).
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 01:07 AM

We've lived nearby, on the island of Ischia, for eight years now and only consume tap water for teeth, coffee and when cooking.

Like almost everybody here we buy bottled water for drinking - in our supermarkets etc small half-litre bottles are about €0.35 each, or €4.20 for a dozen. It's significantly cheaper in larger sizes, but those can be a real pain in the fridge!

You can probably see a little of the space that our nearest shop gives over to storing them in this photo..

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/134270658

They employ a small team of young lads whose main task is delivering people's water - along with their other shopping!

And this is the sort of thing to watch out for where the water's definitely NOT suitable for drinking - often merely because parts of a building or whatever's plumbing still use the old lead pipes...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/126961104

Peter
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 07:05 AM

In the advanced nations you are more likely to get sick from bottled water than from standard city water--and not very likely to sick from either one. Of course, there is sometimes a flavor issue, but that depends on the city.