More on Belfast-murals and folk museum

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:52 AM
epi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More on Belfast-murals and folk museum

Hi experts,
I have two questions on Belfast, which we are visiting in June. First, is there a map of some sort to show where the murals are, or an area we should be walking around? Should we do this be car, foot or tour bus? Second, we are driving around northern ireland and the northern part of Ireland. We are wondering if the Ulster-American Folk Park and the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum should both be visited, or are they too similar? They are both very highly rated by the Michelin green guide. If they are too similar, which would you choose to visit? We will be in both areas anyway.
And of course, any particular restaurants and pubs to recommend? We would prefer Irish rather than continental, but are open to anything good.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:33 AM

You don't want to be walking around areas that have murals in them. Take a black taxi tour -- the taxi drivers that do those tours are very knowledgeable and make sure you see all the most interesting spots. It's also more personal than the open-top tour buses which also go around the city.

Having said that, a lot of the dodgier murals are being repainted with something less offensive but still cultural, so the murals you see now are not the same ones you would have seen a year ago. There is a large tourist information office in the centre of Belfast near city hall, and they will be able to advise you on where to get the tour from.

The Ulster-American Folk Park is well worth a visit. To be honest I have no lasting memories of the Folk and Transport Musueum so I can't compare the two, but that probably says a lot about it!

If you want a "traditional" pub in the centre of Belfast that is tourist-friendly, there are many options. Off the top of my head, I would suggest the Crown, and Fibber Magee's (which is at the back of Robinson's bar, right beside the Crown), which are both on Great Victoria Street and very convenient for local hotels and public tranport. Where will you be staying? I could advise better if I knew that.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:50 AM
epi
Original Poster

We are staying at the Radisson. Thanks for your help.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:00 AM

I second Jenny's post It is not save to go wandering around the murals by yourself, these are found in some very dodgy areas.

Both the Ulster folk museum and the American folk park are worth a visit and they are both quite different.

The Raddisson in in Cromac Street, From there make sure you go to St James Market which is a short walk away.

As for Pubs The Crown is the best known but also try McHughs in Queens square, Kelly's Cellars and Whites Tavern which is the oldest pub in Belfast.
When you go to the Ulster Folk Museum go to Crawfordsbun to the Old Inn, It is thatched and very nice and the food is excellent. There is also a pub opposite the BBC which is within walking distance from your hotel but I can't remember the name. My stepfather, who is English, always goes there when he arrives in Belfast as he says it has the best Guinness in the world!!

Have a good time
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM

epi,
The name of the pub with, (in my stepfathers opinion) the good Guinness, is Morrisons.

If you want traditional music ask one of the taxi drivers and they will direct you (not my scene so I can't help) but do be careful around the murals as June is very close to the marching season here and although things were quiet last year and hopefully be the same this year, no one knows yet.

Enjoy N'Ireland

PS Don't forget the Giant's Causeway and the Kingdom of Mourne.