Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Boston to Florence - looking for flight advice

Mar 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

We are considering a trip to Florence in September, and I was wondering if anyone has advice on best route for reasonable fares. My quick initial look tells me there's no direct flight, so where to fly in and out of? What's the most cost-effective route / airline?
Mar 12th, 2007, 12:40 PM

No direct flights from the US to Florence. Many ailrines connect through other major European hubs--Rome, Milan, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam. . .

You might also consider flights to Pisa, which is quite close to Florence. Dleta recenlty added a direct flight to Pisa out of JFK--don't know if they did the same for Boston. Try kayak.com to compare for cheapest airfares.

Another possibility: If you fly to Rome, it is conceivable that you could get to Florence by train in as little as 3-4 hours later depending on your arrival and luggage success. So sometimes taking the train from Rome might be quicker than waiting to take a second connecting flight.
Mar 12th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Just noticed my many transpositions while typing . . . in case you were wondering, it's Delta that has the flight to Pisa.
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ellenm!
(Not to worry, I understood.
Mar 12th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Also try flights into Bologna. I had business in the area last year and I was surprised at the amount of connections.

If you're going anywhere else, consider an open jaw ticket back from wherever you end up.