Boston MA USA to Braunschweig Germany

Old Jan 14th, 2020, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Boston MA USA to Braunschweig Germany

Any help would be much much appreciated!! My family- Parents, sister, brother-in-law, 21 year old nephew and my 27 month old will be traveling from Boston Massachusetts to Braunschweig Germany. We have family there. I am just wondering- Should we fly into Amsterdam for a cheaper flight and take the Eurorail into Braunschweig or should we pay the extra to fly into Frankfurt or Hanover?
thank you!!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 05:52 PM
J62

6 of one...

It's 5-6 hours by train from central Amsterdam to Braunshweig, one change in Wolfsburg
And 3 hrs from Frankfurt.

But, you may have to wait an hr or 2 to catch a train out of Amsterdam, and I suspect your train options are greater within Germany.
So look at your total travel time and cost before you decide.

Also,
There is no such thing as "the Eurorail".
For train schedules and prices look at www.bahn.de, the german RR website.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

J62

Thank you so much for your help.. it's a start. When we will switch trains do you know how long it normally is and are signs and such in English as well as in German?
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by bostonbean82 View Post
Thank you so much for your help.. it's a start. When we will switch trains do you know how long it normally is and are signs and such in English as well as in German?
if you look up your train connections through the Deutsche Bahn site above, you get a schedule including platform numbers.

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 06:08 AM
J62

The connection time to switch trains can vary from 10min to an hour or more - it all depends on what train you are taking.

Looking more closely at the train schedules I see a direct train from Frankfurt airport to Braunsweig, leaving every 2 hrs at 10:09, 12:09, etc. Since you are not familiar with taking trains in Europe and have a large group I'd say this is your best bet.
There are 2 flights a day from BOS to FRA on Lufthansa - one around 5pm and one between 8&9. Personally I prefer the later plane as it's easier for me to get sleep.

These are the names of the stations:
Frankfurt(M)Flughafen
Braunschweig Hbf

You'd be looking for the train going in the direction of Berlin, as Braunschweig is simply an intermiediate stop. You will all need to be up out of your seat, at the exit doors with your luggage when the train pulls into Braunschweig. It may only stop there for 3 to 5 minutes and the trains wait for noone.

For more general how to info about trains visit this site https://www.seat61.com/ It's a wealth of info. Familiarize yourself with booking options, regional or family tickets, pros and cons of booking tickets in advance, etc, etc. If you have questions, definitely ask here and we'll try to help. Another one of our long time fodors train experts is unfortunately no longer with us (rip pal).

No, do not assume signs are in English, but that really shouldn't matter. You need to know the train #, destination, and be able to read which track your train will be on. FRA airport is very traveler friendly - any staff you meet will speak English, and signs there are bilingual.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 06:32 AM

I looked yesterday and was like 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Sometimes it pays to fly to a major airport and then get a regional flight from there on a separate ticket. Just give yourself a few hours for delays and such. If you pick Frankfurt you could at least go early and do a little sightseeing on your return. Flixbus is also an option in Germany.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by J62 View Post
You will all need to be up out of your seat, at the exit doors with your luggage when the train pulls into Braunschweig. It may only stop there for 3 to 5 minutes and the trains wait for noone.
The ICE trains stop in Braunschweig for a minute or maximum two. Hence being at the door in time is good advice. Get up from your seats when you spot the TV tower on the right side of the train.
Enjoy Braunschweig - it's my birthplace and hometown.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Wow! this is all super helpful! Thank you
I spoke with my family and we all think its best to skip flying into Amsterdam and go straight to Frankfurt thanks to your advice!
Thank you for being so specific also! I can't tell you how helpful all of this is... it has been 20 years since I've been to Braunschweig and I was 18 at the time so I didn't pay much attention then, unfortunately..
you are awesome!!!!!