Boston GTG

Jan 30th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Boston GTG

Thanks to seafox for putting this together, a warm friendly group and some such seasoned travellers to exotic places.
Jan 30th, 2004, 09:35 PM

Just arrived home (in CT) after a fun evening. A round of applause for Seafox! How nice to meet our cyber friends.
Jan 31st, 2004, 05:15 AM

It was great to meet everyone last night. I'm looking forward to pictures and of course the occaisonal rendezvous in the future. And, who else but a group of seasoned travellers could figure out what they owe on a big resteraunt bill,.......andd when all was added up we had too much cash...that was easy.....and we just ordered more wine to solve for the "problem"
Jan 31st, 2004, 05:35 AM

I had a great time. Thanks to Seafox for organizing. Thanks to everyone for sharing their adventures.
Jan 31st, 2004, 05:45 AM

We had a wonderful time visiting with all of you and learning about your travel adventures. Wished we could have stayed a little longer. Thanks again, Seafox!
Jan 31st, 2004, 06:33 AM

Was that fun or what? Interesting putting names to faces, sometimes VERY different from expectations. Very festive and jovial, and that bonus round of drinks made it a very late night. Even later for those who had to drive for hours to get home (I can't imagine Aunt Grapes posting at 1:35 AM after driving back to Connecticut).

So we can now answer all the questions from anxious posters about what to wear to anonymous gatherings in Cambridge, Massachusetts (I wore the Fodors-approved basic black and outerwear fit for Siberia in midwinter) and how to divvy up the check (everyone just puts too much in so we are forced to stick around for another round).

Thanks to Jeff for taking it on.

Jan 31st, 2004, 06:47 AM

Andy and Ellen - I am having problems with your e-mail addresses...I am getting host unknown errors....can you send them to me and I will update the list I published and hopefully get it out to both of you?

Jeff
Jan 31st, 2004, 08:13 AM

dang, I missed the party. who was there?
Jan 31st, 2004, 02:05 PM

Nikki~~and I made it to the office on time, 8am this morning.

Really did enjoy last evening. An interesting/diverse group that clicked nicely.

Thanks all for the laughter and the travel tips.
Jan 31st, 2004, 04:05 PM

I'm glad you all had a good time. I just returned from Boston after dropping my daughter off at Logan for her 5 month voyage to Paris. That's why I never responded to your get together, I knew I couldn't get to Boston two days in a row (I'm almost 3 hours away) - but I've been thinking of you. And last night, while you were all there, the travel channel, which hasn't done a useful travel show in I don't know how long, had a very well done piece on - Boston! With a brief shot of Legal Seafoods. How's that for coincidence.

Are you going to post photographs anywhere so those of us who weren't there can see them?
Jan 31st, 2004, 07:42 PM

karen and i would also like to add our sincere thanks to seafox for his perfect planning....we enjoyed meeting all present and look forward to a repeat in the future....in fact two of us met again saturday nite for thai food to rehash things again....
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:48 AM

I am soooo sorry I couldn't make it. Please promise me that we can do this again!!!
Feb 1st, 2004, 05:21 AM

As an extreme introvert, it felt really weird to meet up with a group of strangers from a chat room. I am so glad that I didn't back out. When I told my sister what I had done, she asked what I'd gotten out of it; thought I'd post my response here. (Also posting because I semi- volunteered to write a report.)

My travel plans and dreams were broadened after Friday night. For my upcoming Italy trip, I'll be better prepared for an "ultimate Italian experience" (getting picked-up AND having my purse stolen). I also learned, it's not so awful to travel solo. Thank you Ellen. I'll consider more exotic places when planning future trips. Someday, I'll go to Bangkok AND, I'll be prepared for the 26-hour flight. Thank you R&KK and Panda. I learned of a great apartment in Paris for my next visit there. Thank you Seafox and Nikki.

Of special mention -- Dave from Indy. He traveled from Indiana just for the GTG cause he thought it would be fun (really). I only had to travel from MGH and I fretted about that! And Kybourbon, you should be proud of your daughter and friends--MIT students who came willingly (?) to have dinner with people their parents age (and older).

I'm sorry that I didn't get around to talk with everyone. By the time I moved over to the second table, I suddenly remembered that the garage I was parked in closed at 11:00. I made a mad dash out the door and apologize for the rude departure. I never expected the GTG would go so long.

Last, but not least, I learned it's okay to post with typos. So, for the first time ever, I'm just gonna hit the "Post" button without previwing and editing. Thank you Anonymous.

Feb 1st, 2004, 05:42 AM

LOL, You're welcome, Jackie!

What a great evening; thanks so much to Jeff/seafox for arranging it and to everyone who came and shared their stories, pictures, and advice.
Feb 1st, 2004, 10:23 AM

So sorry not to have made it to the dinner on Friday, but hope I can have a raincheck for a future gathering. What could be more fun than sharing travel experiences over great food!

Thank you again, cigalechanta, for the information on the GTG. Glad to hear that everyone enjoyed themselves!
Feb 1st, 2004, 01:04 PM

Thanks, Jackie, for your report.

It was such a fun time! Like you, I was a little undecided at first about going. I'm so glad I did even though my husband and I couldn't stay for the entire evening.

It was so sweet of David (Indy Travel) to come all the way to Boston for the event. He shared some wonderful travel information and pictures as did Nikki and Stacy (S.L. Hogan). We will all have to do it again sometime.
Feb 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM

I want to thank seafox too. Great job!

I just got back from Boston. Since I went all the way there I decided to make a weekend out of it.

For people who asked. I really liked the Hotel Marlowe $69 a night through Priceline.

It was beautiful, funky and eclectic. The carpet was a stylized leopard print with leopard print bathrobes in the closet. Interesting furnishings and also a dog friendly hotel. Very unusual in my experience in the US.

Good location too. I could walk through the parking garage into a mall on the way to the Lechmere T stop, it was warmer that way.

Feb 1st, 2004, 05:25 PM

Indy-thanks for the report on the Marlowe...it does sound good. Can't beat the price. We were happy to meet you. Since you came the greatest distance we don't get the prize.
Hm-m-m-m next time there should be a prize for the person traveling the greatest distance.
Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:32 AM
SLHogan

Thank you Seafox for arranging such a fun evening!! I came away with valuable tips about booking hotels, seeing pictures of fab places, and just meeting everyone who has posted on this board. Looking forward to meeting again.

Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:10 PM

speaking of next time, how about an out door picnic in a park (pot luck)....perhaps in the Summer.....

.... looking forward to seeing the pictures from Friday.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO