Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bos to Venice returning Naples to Bos in June, do I really need to take out a second mortgage???

Notices

Bos to Venice returning Naples to Bos in June, do I really need to take out a second mortgage???

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am trying to decide if I can really afford to go to Italy next June. Reasonable (timewise) flights from Bos to Vce returning Naples to Bos are running about $1300 right now. And, only about $100 less to leave out of Rome. Multiply that times 3 and this trip becomes way too expensive!!!! I have found a couple of flights for around $1000, but it would take us 30+ hrs to reach our destination!!! Are flights to Italy from Boston always this expensive, or can I hope for a drop in price? Also, which is a good, direct airline to fly on from Boston? Some of the airlines take us to Detroit, Charlotte or even Montreal first! Air France looked the best. Thanks!!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Hi, Jayneann!

You are simply looking too early for next summer's airfares to Europe.

Most fare sales are announced immediately after the New Year's holiday, because that's when most North Americans begin planning summer holidays. All you are seeing now is standard book rates, which NO one buys.

Enjoy your travels!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 07:36 PM

I have booked flights at various time of the year. The current general pricing practice, at least from where I live, to Europe, is that carriers don't seem to think anyone pays to buy tickets more than 7 months before the trip, so why not set the prices high in case they can catch some unsuspecting travellers and make extra profit.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 12:18 AM

There was a recent thread about buying tickets to Europe and plenty of people responded that they have already purchased tickets so yes, lots of people DO buy tickets this early, probably because they think fares will not get any cheaper and can afford to do so.

You obviously cannot so will have to wait for a sale and hope that the dates coincide with your travel plans.

Good luck.

Have you thought of buying a fare to some place like London and then taking a budget carrier onward?
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, easywalker, greg and Dukey! I'm anxious to book because I want to rent an apartment and sleepinitaly requires a nonrefundable $100E deposit. I hate to lose the money if it turns out I can't afford to go.

Dukey, I haven't seriously looked at flying to London then taking a budget carrier. Glad to know that's an option!

Also, which airline flies the most direct route to Venice from Boston? I still haven't figured that out yet! Thanks for the help!!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Is it a good idea to let your tickets be driven by the desire to settle your apartment rental?

You can fly BOS-VCE on a variety of equally direct routes, but no non-stops. BOS-Munich, BOS-Frankfurt, BOS-LHR, BOS-CDG, depending on what airline you like.

It is not ever going to be cheap in June, but it may be better than you are now quoted. Check often.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input ackislander! I guess I'll just have to wait patiently for better fares!!