Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Boring (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/boring-113225/)

paul Mar 19th, 2001 05:33 AM

Boring

It seems this forum has turned into a personal chat room with the same people responding to all questions.I and many others had hoped to find knowledgeable responses to questions instead it seems all the posts with responses are about tedious subjects such as presidents,fodorites and each other.Please don't respond to these post because the regulars are the only ones who care.I will no longer use this post, rather I'll look elsewhere and hope to find interesting and informed opinions about travel.

Anon Mar 19th, 2001 05:57 AM

Paul, I shall send you my email address in the hope that you will send me the website of another site. I, too, find this site to be rather boring. Thanks.

boris Mar 19th, 2001 06:43 AM

<BR>Paul--- <BR> <BR>Some time ago I made the observation that more and more this forum was beginning to resemble a (gasp) chat room <BR>with a few people talking back and forth to each other <BR>I received the usual response "if you dont like it you dont have to watch it"--etc <BR>I expect you will get the same comments from the same sources <BR>In the meantime Im sorry to tell you that in my experience this forum for all its faults is still heads and shoulders above any of the others <BR>Pity <BR>

Mel Mar 19th, 2001 06:49 AM

I've only been monitoring this site the past few weeks and I agree with your observations. I've poted a a few direct responses (hotel recommendations, etc.), but more and more find people getting into conversations that are off track. I'm going back to concierge.com and Rick Steve's Graffiti Wall (www.ricksteves.com) because concierge monitors and tosses those that are inappropriate and Rick Steve's only allows posting, not responses.

Pat Mar 19th, 2001 06:54 AM

I agree whole heartedly! I hesitate to ask a question regarding a trip because of all the snide remarks others have gotten from their questions. Lets get back to what the forum is really about. Travel! <BR>Thanks.

justme Mar 19th, 2001 07:03 AM

I agree, this board is getting boring. It would be great to see more trip reports instead of all the inane crap that gets posted here.

Phantom Mar 19th, 2001 07:19 AM

If I were you folks, I'd take my act elsewhere. First of all, this site is FREE to everyone, Meaning it doesn't cost anything. Secondly, most of us probably find a lot of use from this forum. If you don't, that's unfortunate. We'll miss you. Bye. <BR>

Patrick Mar 19th, 2001 07:27 AM

How interesting! I just looked at the current first 10 threads. One was a request for B&B information which has already received a suggested web site, and another response with a list of specific suggestions. One was a very interesting thread about the Eiffel Tower in which posters have offered lots of suggestions including other views, how to beat the lines, dining at the tower, and a myriad of other things. One thread is all about Produce Markets in Europe which has in just the past couple of days collected 16 responses giving an unbelievable wealth of information to those of us who enjoy markets. There is a post about York asking what to do which has already gotten 6 responses and enough specific suggestions to cover a week's stay! Someone asked about Tuscan Hot springs and has been bombarded with 5 responses which totally covers that topic! This is just in the first 10 listings!!! In fact the only thread I could term off the track and boring is THIS ONE!! (Also possibly the one about Rex, but I believe much of that is posted in an effort to truly make this web site better -- on the other hand, what does this post attempt to do to improve the website?) I am amazed how seldom even the most obscure questions go unanswered. I am addicted to this site, and while it may not be perfect, I find it unbelievable helpful and on the whole quite friendly. Paul, please point out some of the questions asked here which have not had "knowledgeable responses" as you suggest. You must be having a bad day, Paul, because you couldn't have been looking at the bulk of the current posts in the first 50!

Lee Mar 19th, 2001 08:01 AM

Patrick has the real point. How many things are RIGHT about this forum? Why is it that people are more interested in what might be wrong? <BR> <BR>It is eternally puzzling as to why people would complain about something that costs nothing, yet still doesn't fit in with their "perfect" viewpoint. <BR> <BR>This isn't some kind of a jail, therefore you are free to stay or go. Pick one and stick with it.

Judy Mar 19th, 2001 08:14 AM

Dear Paul, If you do not like this Forum, please go elsewhere, if you are that unhappy. In a "perfect world", every conceivable travel question would be acknowledged with an informed answer. However slightly flawed(just a tiny bit IMHO), it is still an informative message board. In fact, I can not imagine why you would even bother to post this observation, unless you wanted to get some much needed attention. Judy <BR>Patrick: I could not agree with you more.

John Mar 19th, 2001 08:26 AM

Dear paul: <BR>Sorry you're disappointed in this site. As global travellers, my wife and I find it very useful. Of course from time to time there are silly posts, but on the whole the information contained here is most accommodating. Perhaps you can get your money back. <BR>Good luck. <BR>John

Larry Mar 19th, 2001 08:33 AM

Paul, some of the cable companies and tv satellite companies have up to 285 channels. Must be not everyone likes the same thing - click your remote if you don't like this "channel" <BR> <BR>I too agree completely with Patrick. In addition, the help I got for my trip to Italy in October was fantastic and not available *anywhere* else

susan Mar 19th, 2001 09:03 AM

Patrick, you are exactly on target as usual.

Capo Mar 19th, 2001 10:11 AM

It's all in your perception, folks. Is the glass of vin rouge half full...or half empty?

soo Mar 19th, 2001 04:04 PM

After reading this thread I noticed all the same names have responded to my past posts.Matter of fact I noticed the same names responding to ALL the posts.It is true that the forum is open and free but come on and get a life.Don't you folks have anything else to do but complain about the free world.Try spending your time being useful and helpful to others.I applaud Paul and the others who find you boring

Joanna Mar 19th, 2001 04:15 PM

Paul, I think it's sad that you should complain about people who are only trying to help others by answering their questions. I only respond to questions about places I've actually been to. Some people on this forum have been lucky enough to be very well travelled indeed and good on them for sharing. Personally, I can only access the web during my lunch hour, after work or those brief times when I have nothing to do at work. It's my favourite website and the only one I look at every single day I'm in the office. I agree there are some tedious posts sometimes, but they are not all inhabited by the same people.

Lou Mar 19th, 2001 04:39 PM

IPaul, I agree with you. <BR>This board is supposed to be a travel board and it is straying further from it all the time. The regulars who claim to be 'addicted' to it are willing talk about anything to get their daily fix. Patrick, the current top ten posts may very well be about travel, but the 'longest' threads have nothing to do with travel. <BR>I really don't care what model car everyone drives. Nor do I care what their financial status is, or who are teachers or where they had the hottest sex. I also don't care about Rex or what anyone hs to say about him. Nor do I care what everyone is doing this very moment. <BR>Are you regulars that desperate for a new thread? <BR>Let's get back to travel. I'm tired of this.

phantom? Mar 19th, 2001 04:41 PM

Hurrah for Paul,he or she has my vote!

judy Mar 19th, 2001 04:50 PM

Right on Lou.To all those who are just interested in travel and not mundane humdrum banter UNITE and give the forum back to just travel related experiences.

Huh? Mar 19th, 2001 04:50 PM

What's this? Someone is complaining that huge threads are boring? What a control freak! Er, if you don't want to read 200 responses about everyone's bio, DON'T!