Borgo San Felice or Villa Vignamaggio

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:05 AM
Ken

Borgo San Felice or Villa Vignamaggio

What's best for 4 nights stay to visit Siena/Chianti area? Would appreciate getting your opinion.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 05:17 AM
mary

Borgo San Felice is in a class all of its own. Truly LOVELY. I am an American who has lived in Umbria for over 30 years and know both of these Tuscan retreats.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Ken

Hi Mary,

I am grateful for your opinion. Thank you very much.

Ken

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 05:45 PM
andi

An acquaintance just returned from Villa Vignamaggio and RAVED about it.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Audrey

Ken,
I am not familiar with the Borgo San Felice but I cannot imagine any place could be nicer than the Villa Vignamaggio. My husband and I stayed there and it was magical.

Audrey

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:18 PM
Dorothy

Just last night I was surfing the net for places to stay in tuscany and came accross Villa Vignamaggio. It looks nice on the web but there booking and rates page was under construction. Does anyone know the range for an apartment for 2 in october?? thanks

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:02 PM
coco

Dorothy,
Oddly enough, I happen to have some information RIGHT HERE! Earlier this week I met a woman at a luncheon who mentioned she was interested in finding the villa where Mona Lisa was painted. (I think it was started there but was carted around for a few years being perfected?)
Anyway, I pulled this info for her from a 1999 Tuscany Now catalogue. Prices are in £££. Now that they book directly, I'd assume the rates to be less, perhaps MUCH less. We've been renting (other properties) every year and find most prices to have remained quite level: any increases offset by strength of dollar.
Sorry to go on so. There are about 20 apartments/cottages ranging from £600 to £1080 per week. That is inclusive of breakfast, dinner, wine tastings. We stopped by there (it is gorgeous) in 2000 to see some friends who had rented for 3 nights only, but don't have rates for the shorter stays. Rates are the same year-round. Hope this helps fuel the imagination!

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:11 AM
jesse

have stayed at both. both fabulous. san felice has a great restaurant and is in the middle of the san felice vineyards, which are adjacent to the ricasoli vineyards...ricasoli is the guy who invented chianti. the villa where "stealing beauty" was filmed is right there.

Vignamaggio is where the mona lisa was born, and also where kevin brannuagh's much ado about nothing was filmed. rent the flick --- you'll get a good idea of what it looks like. Vignamaggio is near greve and panzano, 2 great towns for wine and panzano has some terrific restauranrts. The pool at vignamggio is in a stunning setting, more so than the pool at san felice. San felice is closer to sienna if thats important to you. let me know if you have questions.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 05:29 AM
Monica

Small world! I juust started my a.m. Fodors surfing after being on www.vignamaggio.com. I'm going to Italy in November and my friend Dawn and I want to stay in a villa/castle/estate. The web site had lovely photos, but will have to email them for their rates for 2 nights.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 05:30 AM
Monica

PS: Jesse, I would be interested in hearing more about San Felice (location, phone/email/address/price) so I can contact them. Thanks!

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 03:08 PM
jesse

its about 1/2 hour northeast of sienna. gaiole is nearest town. Brolio Castle is the nearest landmark of note. i think I paid about $250 a night. (5 years ago) a google search should turn up contact info. i think they are in the relais and chateaux group so you could try finding it through their site.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 06:03 PM
Monica

Thanks Jesse for the information. That's out of my price range! I'll keep searching. Ciao.