Borgo Prati Neighborhood

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM
eurotravlr

Borgo Prati Neighborhood

Any fodorites stayed at this neighborhood of Rome? It's near the Vatican; I just need any information regarding the area.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they're two different neighborhoods: Borgo and Prati.

Many years ago, I stayed in Prati, a middle-class residential area north of Via Cola di Rienzo, a major shopping street. There are relatively few restaurants in the area.

Borgo is on the south side of Via Cola di Rienzo and is perhaps a little more modest. There are many restaurants, but a large number of them are tourist traps.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hi Eurotravlr,

You're right it is near the Vatican and St Peter's. Depending where you are it's about a 20 minute walk to the historic center and there are two metro stops in the neighborhood.

I found so many great stores including a favorite gelato shop on Via Cola Di Renzio(maybe spelling this incorrectly). Personally I like this area but tend to stay in the center.

It felt safe to me, there are lots of restaurants & shops but many close earlier than in the center. What would you want to know specifically?

Hope this helps,

Eileen

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:53 PM
eurotravlr

Thank you Eloise and Ecat. I rented an apartment in Via Rodi and I cannot find any information regarding this area (Prati). I also tend to stay near the center but the price for this apartment is very competitive than a hotel. My concern is about safety and convenience (market for food). We tend to walk alot more than taking the public transportation, it's a way to know the area.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:12 PM

I would think that the area is safe, although I know the part that is closer to the river than Via Rodi is.

There's a very large food and flower market, the Mercato Trionfale, on Via Andrea Doria, so you definitely won't starve...

Here's a quote from a Web site about it:

>>The largest market in Rome is the Trionfale Food and Flower Market.

Here you can find virtually every ingredient used in the Italian kitchen and flowers to decorate your table. There are vendors selling fresh fruits, vegetables, meats and fish at very good prices.

The market is located in the 19th century middle-class neighborhood called Prati, north of the Vatican, where the streets are safe and you shop among Romans not tourists. Don't miss Danilo who is said to sell the best mortadella in Rome.<<
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
eurotravlr

Thank you Eloise! that really helps. This is what I was looking for, a place where you can mingle with the locals and not a whole lot of tourist shops.

Thank you again.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:58 PM

We just stayed in the Prati area at Hotel Nova Domus on Via Savanorola a couple of weeks ago. The Andrea Doria market is huge and there is also a beautiful giant indoor flower market (Mercato del fiori) nearby every weekday morning. It seemed a pleasant and safe neighborhood. The Cipro/Vaticani metro stop is nearby. But even more convenient is Bus 23 which you can get on Via Leone IV and go to Trastevere or Isola Tiberina and cross over to Capitoline & Palentine Hills, forum, etc.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:50 AM
eurotravlr

Thank you Angelyn!

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:46 AM

We stayed in a pensione in Via Germanico about 12 years ago and returned to stay there in an apartment last year and are going back there next month. We found Prati an ideal area as it was away from the hustle and bustle of the more famous touristy areas. It is mainly residential and therefore quiet. There is a good metro connection, the indoor market as other posters have pointed out, as well as a Standa supermarket (downstairs from Coin) in Via Cola Renzio. We found a couple of nice affordable restaurants as well as a fab deli and icecream shop on Via Cola Renzio. It is within walking distance of many of the main sights - if you like walking and have comfortable shoes.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM
eurotravlr

Thank you Mairead04, that really helps. We don't like alot of hustle and bustle like you pointed. This will be ideal for us. Now how far walk is the Metro station? Is it pretty much safe to walk at night?

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:55 AM

Prati is only a few minutes walk from the metro stop Ottaviano .We felt quite safe walking in that area at night although we weren't out after midnight as we had our ten year old son with us. We also walked as far as the Spanish Steps one night and to Piazza Navona another night and didn't feel at all uneasy. It guess it's just like any other big city and you just have to be sensible.
We didn't use the Metro at night so I can't way what it's like.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:02 AM
eurotravlr

Since most of the sites are walking distance, we probably going to walk most of the time. Thank you again.