Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Borghese reservations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/borghese-reservations-423042/)

clifbob Sep 1st, 2008 10:13 AM

Borghese reservations

Hi all..... we will be in Rome in october....what should we reserve in advance. I was told the Borgheses?? is that true? whats the best way to reserve? Thanks

chevre Sep 1st, 2008 04:36 PM

You must make reservations for the Borghese they do not allow walk ins. Just go online for the Borghese Gallery, it's easy. I think we paid for the entry when we got there. The gallery is in a beautiful park by the way and well worth a walk through it you have time.

bobthenavigator Sep 1st, 2008 04:41 PM

It is a mandatory 2 hour time slot that your hotel may also book for you. Show up :30 prior.

clifbob Sep 2nd, 2008 09:08 AM

is it definitely a MUST SEE?

LoveItaly Sep 2nd, 2008 09:42 AM

Hello clifbob, to me it is a "must see" but that doesn't mean it is for you. I don't think there is any way one can answer that question for you.

Margaretlb Sep 2nd, 2008 09:48 AM

For me, it was a must see. Here's an excetpt from my trip report:

We arrived at the Borghese and the beautiful parkland. The walkway to the museum is lined with ancient statuary with missing limbs and such. These old, static subjects just don’t hold my attention. I’m only mildly interested in them from an historical perspective; as art, they just do not move me. I knew what lay ahead and was very eager to see the works of Bernini and Caravaggio. We picked up our tickets, checked our handbags and retrieved the recorded walking tour. I thought it strange that handbags had to be checked (along with cameras) but that you kept your coats; they give you a small, clear bag for your wallet). We were right on time and entered the museum. The palazzo is over-the-top ornate and full of statues, bas reliefs, frescos, paintings, large and small bronzes and I’m sure much more but with a two hour time limit you just can’t attempt to see it all. The sculptures by Bernini are simply, sublime. It is difficult to image the beauty he bought out of the marble; how real, how alive his figures are. Persephone, with Pluto’s strong hand pressing into her thigh and tears streaking down her cheek; Daphne, with laurel leaves of seemingly transparent marble sprouting from her fingertips and the artists interpretation of Apollo Belvedere in futile pursuit; and David, his mouth set in determination at that moment he begins the spinning motion to release the force within him. Sublime.
To reach the pinacoteca, there is a long flight of stairs, many stairs. I’m not sure if this gallery is handicapped accessible. I did see a very small elevator but it would not be able to hold a wheelchair. There are many very fine paintings and we made sure to take a really good look at the Caravaggio’s as we had another Context Tour that very afternoon, the Caravaggio Seminar.

clifbob Sep 2nd, 2008 10:06 AM

can you recommend the best schedule for seeing rome? we will be getting there by train from Flornce on Monday early afternoon october 13. We are leaving thursday morning..so basically we have half of monday..and all of tuesday and wednesday. What is the best way to group the sights that we should see for each day. Thanks for all your help

julia_t Sep 2nd, 2008 10:07 AM

<<is it definitely a MUST SEE?>>

Well, if you like sculpture, Bernini's work in particular, then YES.

If you are going to Rome to see Caravaggio's superb paintings, then YES.

If you are not bothered either way, then don't bother with reservations for the Borghese Gallery.

kayd Sep 2nd, 2008 10:16 AM

Look at a map and you will see that most of the ancient sites are in one area, the Vatican is at the other end of the city, and the people-watching, narrow cobbled streets region of Trevi-Navona-Campo dei Fiori is between them. Those are the three top areas for most first-time visitors to Rome. Borghese is outside this orbit, but a quick taxi ride or long walk through the lovely gardens from the centro. If you hae barely more than two days, devote a half day to each of the four areas, or a whole day to either Vatican or Ancient sites and half days to the others, with evenings around the Trevi-Pantheon area.