Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Borghese Gallery - Storing Purse/Wallet/Camera (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/borghese-gallery-storing-purse-wallet-camera-740241/)

monicapileggi Oct 2nd, 2007 04:14 AM

Borghese Gallery - Storing Purse/Wallet/Camera

Hello fellow fodorites,

I received my confirmation for the Borghese gallery (11am-1pm next week).

My reservation document says:

<b>“It is compulsory to deposit every kind of bag, purse, camera, video camera, umbrella.&quot; </b>

I certainly don't want to drop off my purse with my wallet. How do you secure your money and camera? I’m guessing they have lockers? Can I carry my wallet while touring the gallery?

Thanks for your help,

Monica ((F))

Zerlina Oct 2nd, 2007 04:26 AM

They have lockers. You have to deposit your purse and your camera; you can carry your wallet.

kopp Oct 2nd, 2007 04:27 AM

Hi monica :)

On our visit this past April, we had the same concerns. We have 2 cameras and really weren't comfortable at all leaving them.

But it was either split up or hand over them over. And we really wanted to see the museum together.

So we took the leap of faith that all would work out, and it did.

As far as our wallets, we kept those in our jacket pockets. No problem.

It was rather funny watching some women trying to sneak their purses in. Beware of the guards! They will send you back.

Happy travels!

sandi_travelnut Oct 2nd, 2007 04:27 AM

When we were there in January, we had an early morning reservation and I remember leaving my purse and camera at the apt. and I just had my wallet in my pocket.

GianniFL Oct 2nd, 2007 04:28 AM

Monica, your valuables will be put in a small locker and you will be given the key. You can watch the deposit and retrieval of your things.

monicapileggi Oct 2nd, 2007 04:31 AM

Thanks for the quick response! I feel better. :)

Monica ((F))

adrienne Oct 2nd, 2007 04:45 AM

Hi Monica,

Last time I was there I didn't have a pocket to put my wallet so they gave me a small plastic bag to carry it. The funny thing is that the plastic bag was twice the size of my purse and I had to carry it from my hand/wrist rather than slinging it around me. I really didn't understand the reason for the bag if you have a small purse.

The first time at the Borghese I was allowed to keep my purse although my friend who had a medium size purse had to check hers.

Be sure to arrive 1/2 hour before your time so you don't use any part of your 2 hours waiting in line. They kick you at at the end of your 2 hours - they're very strict about the time since the next group is coming in. If you're with a friend have one of you stand in line to pay and pick up the tickets and the other stand in line for the purse/jacket check.

Try to get an English guided tour (offered at certain times) as they are very good.

Enjoy the Borghese - it's fabulous!

monicapileggi Oct 2nd, 2007 05:22 AM

Thanks Adrienne for the info. I'm going alone to the gallery but will be sure to get there early enough.

Monica ((F))

Dayle Oct 2nd, 2007 06:32 AM

Hi Monica,

It sounds like their checking procedure has changed if they have lockers with keys now. When I was there in Sept 05, you just got a claim ticket and you didn't see them put your things into a locker.

I knew the checking policy, so I had my money and credit cards in a money belt (don't usually wear one on non-travel days). Unfortunately, my expensive sports sunglasses were stolen out of my bag and I didn't know it until too late to go back. Fortunately it doesn't seem that this is a common problem at the gallery!

Have a lovely trip and a wonderful time Monica. Wish I was going!

monicapileggi Oct 2nd, 2007 03:08 PM

I'll try to remember to post a message about my experience here on Fodors.

Monica ((F))

SusanP Oct 2nd, 2007 06:01 PM

I was there last December and didn't get a key or see them lock my stuff in a locker. I also put my money &amp; credit card in a money belt and put my small digital camera in my pocket (not because I wanted to try and sneak pictures, but so I didn't have to leave it in my purse).

monicapileggi Oct 2nd, 2007 06:18 PM

My digital camera is small enough to fit inside my pants pocket. Hmmmmm.....

Monica ((F))

GianniFL Oct 3rd, 2007 03:10 AM

My prior post must have been wrong, and I am sorry. We visited several major galleries in a short time last summer, and it appears I got the procedures confused.

monicapileggi Oct 3rd, 2007 03:45 AM

Well, I will have to check to see how far the gallery is from my hotel and maybe I'll go with just enough euros to buy my tickets and leave everything in the hotel and pick them up after my visit.

Monica ((F))

Sue_xx_yy Oct 3rd, 2007 03:53 AM

Hi Dayle, please: can you elaborate a bit about how your expensive sunglasses were stolen out of your bag? Do you mean, while they were supposedly checked in a locker at the Borghese?

Sue_xx_yy Oct 3rd, 2007 03:54 AM

Hi Dayle, please: can you elaborate a bit about how your expensive sunglasses were stolen out of your bag? Do you mean, while they were supposedly checked with someone? (I ask, since presumably it is critical in that case to get a locker....)

PS Monica - apologies for hijacking your thread. And I do hope to hear from you when you return - you always do great reports on your trips!

Dayle Oct 3rd, 2007 05:03 AM

Sue,

Yes, it was in the required bag check. The funny thing was I also left my camera in the bag, but since it was an &quot;antique&quot; film camera and not digital, seems it wasn't desirable.

The sunglasses were Oakley &quot;M&quot; cycling glasses. I wasn't happy about having to replace those!

Sue_xx_yy Oct 4th, 2007 04:14 AM

Thanks Dayle for getting back to me. Sorry about the sunglasses! Maybe they had enough complaints, that that is why they installed the lockers instead.

(I just had an amusing image of people going through the Borghese wearing their sunglasses atop their heads, Jackie Onassis style....)

bevmil Oct 4th, 2007 04:32 AM

We were just there mid-Sept. Yes, I gave them my entire pocketbook, including wallet and camera. I have to say I was a little nervous about doing it, but they give you a key and lock your things up in a separate locker. Do make sure you get there early enough to stand in the lines, first the ticket line and then the locker-check line...they do kick everyone out after the two hours.....and you don't want to miss a minute of seeing everything. It's amazing!