Today's NYTimes carries this article about sniffing dogs being routinely used to check folks crossing borders for undeclared cash - and the check can be done anywhere - like in Paris' Gare du Nord where they nabbed a former French ambassador boarding a train for Belgium with hundreds of thousands of undeclared euros.
And French customs officials also routinely use dogs to check arriving passengers from Amsterdam originating Thalys trains for drugs.
So a borderless Europe sounds great and is but if you have any contraband to hide don't be fooled into thinking borderless means like noi Customs lurking about!
And I see the reason for the money checks - money laundering - heck even a former French budget official was nabbed!
My experience with borderless Eurorpe was on a night train from Amsterdam to Munich where I was aroused around 2 am near Stuttgart by two gestapo-like German officials and dragged with all my possessions to a baggage car and had every little think strewn around and inspected - including as final thing, my prostrate checked!
They found nothing - made no apology but said you're free to go - leaving mounds of my belongings thrown all over.
Bordlerless Eurorpe sounds good but for me at least if was not and I was totally innocent, probably being a mix-up case - I mean a senior citizen being dragged out of sleep and them subjected to gestapo like tactics and never even hearing a 'thank you' or 'we're sorry'!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 AOL EMAIL ☎ 1~844~853:3131 Password Reset Contact Now ☎ AOL Tec*h CALL.☎M3*
- 2 Best area to stay near Split for easy beach access.
- 3 beware of robbed in Milan
- 4 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 5 Which Area in London?
- 6 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 7 Barcelona - Rome Viking Ocean Cruise
- 8 Sorrento to Montepulciano- where to rent car?
- 9 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 10 What did your teenagers love the most of their Italy trip?
- 11 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 12 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 13 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 14 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 15 Current plan for March trip
- 16 First time in Spain
- 17 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 18 Barcelona to Malaga
- 19 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 20 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 21 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 22 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 23 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 24 Dublin for St. Patricks Day
- 25 Recommendations Budget hotel Paris