Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Border crossing between Italy Slovenia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/border-crossing-between-italy-slovenia-562886/)

dragonrider Oct 6th, 2005 05:50 AM

Border crossing between Italy Slovenia

Does anyone know if there is an actual border crossing between Italy and Slovenia? Trying to figure out where/how I can get my passport stamped as I enter Slovenia.

GeoffHamer Oct 6th, 2005 06:11 AM

I've used the bus from Trieste to Koper and there is an actual border crossing. My passport was checked but I don't think it was stamped. Slovenia is a member of the EU but is not part of the Schengen agreement, so there are passport and customs controls.

starsgoblue Oct 6th, 2005 10:04 AM

I crossed at Gorica/Nova Gorica (sp? - it was years ago!) no stamp either

flanneruk Oct 6th, 2005 10:24 AM

I drove across it shortly after Slovenia's independence. At that time there was an old-style border post (with a duty free shop in no-mans land). And, when the border wasn't busy, the Slovenians were happy, on request, to stamp my passport coming out.

But beware. The Italians noticed this, and clocked me as slightly eccentric. They were lumbered with a raving lunatic of a Scots hitch-hiker, trying to get round Europe in his kilt, and incoherent in any language, who they couldn't persuade to get out of their customs box (It was bloody cold outdoors). So they suggested I explain to him why it was in his interest to leave the doganieri in peace to watch the housewife strippers on TV.

This of course meant giving him a lift to Venice and feeding him (probably the first solid nutrition he'd had since the Tartan Special ran out). And I'm still waiting for the return of the 25,000 lire he said he'd post me.

So getting that Slovenian stamp might be expensive. And if there's a bearded guy in a Royal Stuart kilt:
- it's not his tartan
- I'd like my ten quid back
- and he'd be a lot happier watching the strippers.

LJ Oct 6th, 2005 10:36 AM

Flanneruk-you are always interesting to read. Your vignette about the Scots' hitchhiker would belong very happily in Jan Morris's wonderful book ("Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere"?not sure that is quite right...).

We were there last year for the anniversary of James Joyce who wrote a great deal in Trieste. Went across the border out of curiousity, but no stamp was offered. We didn't insist as I am of the belief that borders and sleeping dogs should both be let lie.

SloJan Oct 20th, 2005 02:50 AM

It completely depends on their mood. We cross it regularly and can never anticipate whether it will be stamped or not.

tocotronic Jan 22nd, 2006 06:32 PM

hey, have the slovenian stamps changed to the ugly generic EU style yet, or are they still the good old fashioned style?

JJBhoy Jan 22nd, 2006 11:20 PM

flanneruk,

If you're going to keep casting this tenner up I'll send you the damn money.

I was going to send you the tenner back but I lost your address -Honest - .

Jim