Reload this Page >

Questions about Paris

Search

Questions about Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 02:21 PM
Claire

Questions about Paris

Hi, <BR>My husband and I are planning on going to Paris in May. He will be occupied on business mostly and I will be mostly touring. Can anyone recommend a few decent tours I can take and also we would like to take the high speed train to another country for a few days.... any suggestions? Thanks

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 04:29 PM
Al

Paris has a splendid double-decker red bus city tour that covers most of the high spots that would interest you. Buy a two-day ticket and you can get on or off as often as you like. As I recall, we got on near the Eiffel Tower and the bus went in a circle--Ecole Militaire, Napoleon's Tomb, over to Notre Dame, Louvre, Champs Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, Palais de Chaillot, and back to the Eiffel Tower. Take the Thalys high speed train to Brussels, transfer to a local westbound train to Brugge, and stay a couple days. Or take day trips within 75 miles of Paris; there are all sorts of such recommended on this web site. Use the search facility.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Melissa

I found the bus tours too relaxing, and I tend to fall asleep. A cheap alternative is a walking tour, if you're up to it. <BR>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ng/PWTHOME.HTM

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Rex

Belgium is the closest, quickest country you can visit by TRAIN; but the cheapest (by PLANE) is Ireland (well, actually a tie with Scotland). Fares in May from 175 FF ($24 USD) each way on www.ryanair.com. The actual flight time (85 minutes) is shorter than the 95 minute train ride from Paris to Brussels, but you have to allow time to get to the airport (Paris Beauvais) - - a good hour out in the country. Glasgow is a 95 minute flight. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Meg

I've been in your situation. It depends on how adventurous you are. For a number of years I traveled to Paris with my husband on his business. The first time I took a Cityrama or Parisvision tour to acclimate myself. Then I just walked and took the metro wherever I felt comfortable. A lot depends on where you stay. We stayed in a hotel near Place Des Pyramides on the right bank, which I found superb to walk to almost everything and felt very safe alone. <BR> <BR>Take in the department stores on Blvd. Haussman, the Louvre, D'Orsay, Rodin Museum, the Madeleine - Take a taxi if you like. There are wonderful walking tours, do a search on this engine and you'll find plenty of suggestions. <BR> <BR>I've taken a one day bus tour to the chateaus, the train to Chartres (magnificent - make sure Malcolm Miller is there) or just sit in a cafe and watch the world go by. <BR> <BR>As for trips after Paris - take a night train to Florence or Venice and spend a few days (you'll need to adjust your airline tickets), or train to Strasbourg and spend a few days. Get yourself a map and a good guide book - and I'd recommend a good travel agent who is experienced in France/Italy etc. Even London is possible destination. Good luck. Post us when you get back on your trip. <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Pat

With all respects to Rex because he is a very seasoned traveler - I would not choose Ireland or go anywhere near the British Isles on your trip. <BR> <BR>I have friends in Ireland and everything has been shut down or canceled. My friend has a large farm and keeps, among other animals, 300 head of cattle. He is not allowed to move them from field to field using a road. They must be kept within the confines of his property without using any type of public space. Three years ago they found one cow with suspected Mad Cow disease and they destroyed his entire herd. <BR> <BR>I'm sure it is quite safe there, but all public interaction has been curtailed because they are fearful of bringing in foot and mouth to their country.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 10:36 PM
maggie

Definitely the double decker tour bus...the one mentioned in the first or second post...you can get on and off at any one of the major tourist attractions...and since your husband won't be with you, this will be a nice way to see Paris alone. <BR> <BR>You can get off and walk the Champs Elysee if you'd like. Again, it's a get on/off bus. Buy the two or three day pass. Well worth the money. <BR> <BR>The first time we were on it, we did the whole loop, then started to get on and off. I guarantee you that you won't fall asleep since there is so much to see! <BR> <BR>I've been to Paris twice in May...one time it was very cold (last year) and the year before it was very hot...so prepare for the two extremes... <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 10:19 AM
arjay

As an alternative to a formal bus tour, consider just hopping on a local bus and riding it around town. The passenger shelters at every bus stop have a large map that show all the different bus routes...For the price of a metro ticket, you can ride to....wherever...and see plenty of scenery. #69 from Champ de Mars is one line that covers a lot of nice territory, but there are others....

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 10:35 AM
elaine

Hi Claire <BR>I have a file on Paris, including suggestions for day trips and sightseeing; if you'd like to see it, email me. <BR>Paris is easy to get around in and <BR>you may feel that you don't need a sightseeing tour. However, one that is not as expensive as the Cityrama or Parisvision bus tours but not as <BR>unstructured as a do-it-yourself public bus ride is the privately-run Parisbus, a red double-decker with nine stops in Paris. This may be the one Al referred to. The tour starts at Trocadero, and runs every 50 minutes until 5 pm. Commentary in French and English, occasionally other languages. Total ride is about 2 ¼ hours. Tickets are good for unlimited use over two days, so you can get off and explore and pick it up again later. Stops include Eiffel Tower, Champs de Mars, the Louvre, Notre Dame, Musee d'Orsay, Opera Garnier, Etoile, grand Palais, and Trocadero. <BR>The timetable is available from the Tourist Office at 127 av. des Champs Elysees. PARIBUS/LES CARS ROUGES <BR> <BR>THere is also l'Open Tour, a new tourist bus line in Paris. The RATP has joined forces with 2 partners (Cityrama & Guide Friday), in order to set up and operate a sightseeing bus service in the heart of Paris. There are 3 routes : Madeleine / Madeleine (main route), Bercy / Notre Dame, Madeleine / Anvers, Sacré Coeur <BR>2 different types of l'Open Tour passes can be purchased for the trip : either a 1 day or a 2-consecutive days pass valid from the first day they are validated. The OpenTour uses a hop on/hop off system, which allows you to get off and reboard at any point in the trip. The <BR>round trip lasts approximately 2 hours, with a departure every 15 - 20 minutes. <BR>There are running commentaries in English and French and the route is operated 7 <BR>days a week all year round. All pass holders are provided with a set of personal headphones when they first board the bus. <BR>Information : 01 43 46 52 06 (Monday to Friday). http://www.ratp.fr <BR>Buy tickets from the driver or host/hostess at any stop. You will need cash I believe. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Ursula

Claire: Yes, just get onto a normal bus with a métro ticket. I like Nr. 63 which passes Jardin des Plantes, The Institut du Monde Arabe (5th),along Blvd. St. Germain, along the Seine, Pont Alexandre III, Place de l'Alma, Place du Trocadéro where I would get off and go back by métro. You will see a lot with Nr. 63 which takes you from East to West of Paris or viceversa. <BR>Other "nice" number East-West is: 73 from Musée d'Orsay to La Défense along the Champs-Elysées! <BR>You will feel great when doing this as if you were living in Paris. Far less tourists than in the métro and much nicer, but I agree, you should not be in a hurry. But who is in a hurry when on holiday in Paris! <BR>