Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bordeaux to St Emilion (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bordeaux-to-st-emilion-561053/)

anna_h Sep 26th, 2005 11:25 PM

Bordeaux to St Emilion

Can anyone advise the best way to get from Bordeaux airport to St Emilion? A hire car is the favourite option at the moment but I can't seem to find any information on whether I can take a train from the airport direct to St E, or if I would have to change trains in Bordeaux city (which would be a bit inconvenient).

Thanks for any help you can give.

winesipper Sep 27th, 2005 09:13 AM

Anna - I don't ever recall seeing train service to St Emilion, but go to the train web site www.voyages-sncf.com (that is a dash between the words by the way).

St Emilion is such a cute, small town on a hill, as you may know, and about a 35 minute drive from Bordeaux. IMHO, I would just rent a car for the day. You can rent the car at the train station. I know Hertz is there but go online and check for others. Frankly, I liked having a car to drive out that way because of all the vineyards to see along the way. Lastly, I would park the car at the bottom of the hill and walk around rather than try to drive a stick shift up and down those hills unless you get automatic of course.

Have a great trip.

winesipper Sep 27th, 2005 09:18 AM

Anna #2 - sorry about missing your arrival point at the airport in your question (and not the train station), but it would not change my recommendation to rent a car. In fact, it will be easier for you to avoid most of the downtown Bordeaux traffic leaving from the airport on your way to St E.

indytravel Sep 27th, 2005 09:38 AM

Last December the St Emilion train station was a boarded up, abandoned hulk. I think only 1 or 2 trains a day stopped there. You'd need to make it to the end of the gravel drive to call a taxi at the pay phone or have a cell phone. Either way you'd need the taxi number to call.

If you weren't able to call a taxi, it's about a mile uphill to the part of town that has hotels. Much of the walk is along the main road into St Emilion without sidewalks. You would not want to do this with much more than a backpack for luggage.

StCirq Sep 27th, 2005 10:36 AM

From a quick perusal of the SNCF site, I see one train that seems to be a daily, leaving at 6:17 pm and arriving at 6:53 pm. Some other days there's a train leaving at 13:40. But no morning trains at all that I could find.

There are no trains at all from the airport that I can find, and I've never seen a train station anywhere in Mérignac.

I'd rent a car. Of course, if this is only for a day, that's going to be quite expensive (sometimes equivalent to a three-day rental), so maybe you'd like to poke around the region for a few days.

anna_h Sep 27th, 2005 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone, car hire it is. We're actually there for 3 days so I've found a reasonable deal from a company recommended on this forum. We're staying at the Hostellerie de Plaisance and are booked into their restaurant for the first night, second night will be out on the town so i've also looked up this forums recommended restaurants; however any up to date info would be most appreciated.

Thanks again.

Dasher Sep 27th, 2005 11:01 AM

Oh my, Anna. We stayed at the Hostellerie de Plaisance in July, 2001. It is so wonderful. The rooms, view, food and shops are all fantastic. Driving there from Bordeaux is a breeze and the tree-lined streets are gorgeous. You'll have a great time. To this day, my most vivid memory of that stay is, of all things, the enormous cheese tray they brought to our table. Enjoy!

StCirq Sep 27th, 2005 11:15 AM

If you can locate the Restaurant Francis Goullé at 27 rue Gaudet, not only will you enjoy some wonderful regional cooking, you'll probably be in the midst of a few gatherings of some of the most well-known vintners in SW France.

cindymal Sep 27th, 2005 07:27 PM

Just returned from Plaisance.It was beautiful.We stayed in the Petrus roomwhich has a 1800 sq. foot terrace and the room was amazing.The restaurant is wonderful and the service was excellent.Be sure to take a underground tour of the city.Some interesting chateau tours were Franc Mayne,Belair and both are easy to get into with appointments.The area around St.Emillion is beautiful so it is good that you have a car.Parking is right in front of the hotel or right around the corner.The hotel will explain this to you.You do not have to park far away and they make it very easy for you.I hope you enjoy the hotel and town as much as we did

anna_h Sep 29th, 2005 06:33 AM

Thanks for all your tips, we'll be sure to try and find that restaurant - it sounds great.

ira Sep 30th, 2005 04:42 AM

Hi anna,

We hired a car at Merignac and drove to our hotel near St Emilion.

It is not difficult (unless your compass is not working - I'll report on that later).

The rental agency will give you a map showing the route to St. E.

We enjoyed dinner in the garden at L'Enverse du Décor, 11 Rue du Clocher in St E.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))