Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Bordeaux - late December - Nearby day trips?

Bordeaux - late December - Nearby day trips?

Jul 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Bordeaux - late December - Nearby day trips?

My husband's family has a house in Bordeaux and we (my husband, 4 yr old son & I) will be visiting them between December 26 and January 2nd.

We'll have 7 full days in Bordeaux. We anticipate it will be extremely laid back since we'll be staying in a house. Since we are with our 4 year old son, we will take things a bit slower than if it were just my husband & I. We enjoy old towns, walled cities, churches --- my son I'm sure would enjoy castles, chateau, etc.

We would like to do 2-3 day trips to neighboring towns. We would also enjoy a seaside town (obviously, no swimming will be involved).

Any suggestions on not-to-miss towns nearby (no more than a 3 hour drive)?

Thanks!
Jul 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM

The Charente, north of Bordeaux, has some wonderful Romanesque churches and it is the Cognac region.
Jul 13th, 2010, 11:30 AM

The obvious seaside attractions are Arcachon, Cap Ferret, and the Dune du Pylat. All about 30-40 minutes from the center of town.

In 3 hours you can be in the heart of the Périgord Noir where there's a castle about every 10 feet, plus prehistoric caves and dwellings, bastides, a dolmen or two, goose farms, and a few hundred romanesque chapels.
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Michael - I will definitely look into The Charente...sounds wonderful. How long would you say it is from Bordeaux - true driving time? Thanks again!

StCirq - I haven't read up on seaside towns yet, so these 3 suggestions are greatly appreciated. Any seafood lunch recommendations at each of these seaside towns?
Also, I know my son would LOVE the castle & caves (as would I). Thanks for pointing me towards the Perigord Noir!
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:21 PM

In Arcachon, Cap Pereira and Chez Yvette are both wonderful local seafood places. Not sure what's open that time of year, though. There's also an absolutely wonderful ice cream/gelato stand at the entrance to the boardwalk, though again I'm not sure it would be open in December.

Same for Cap Ferret, where we always just go to one of the oyster/wine shacks on the beach and the Dune du Pylat, where we just grab something from one of the snack stands.

Arcachon, by the way, is where all the well-heeled wine château widows built their seaside mansions - interesting to tool around town and look at them. Very pleasant town, to boot.
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Great tips...thanks!

I've heard so much about the unpredictably cold/rainy weather in Paris late Dec/early Jan, but do you know what is it like in Bordeaux at that same time of year?
Jul 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM

It can be cold, windy, and rainy in Bordeaux as well. Be prepared to dress warmly in layers and have raingear for sure. There will be plenty of cozy bars and cafés and restaurants, though, some with fireplaces.

Search this Thread