Bordeaux & Southern Spain

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bordeaux & Southern Spain

We are planning a late March/early April vacation. We have relatives in Southern Spain, Estopona. We are trying to decide what areas of France/Spain that we could fit into a 15 day schedule. We will be flying from Chicago. We thought of possibly flying into Bordeaux,staying 5 days or so in that area, then traveling via train to southern Spain. Any ideas? Too much distance? Also thought of just flying into Seville, seeing southern Spain and some of Portugal. Do not want to take on too many areas. Prefer to explore 2 or 3 areas and have it relaxing. This will be our 3rd trip to Europe. Last one was too much moving around. Would appreciate input from anyone have a like experience.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:38 AM

I would recommend skipping Bordeaux on this trip. While it is OK, it doesn't really mesh with a Spain trip. There are much better options.

15 days for Spain alone would be great. There are so many wonderful places to see including Seville, Granada and Barcelona. If you want to expand beyond Spain, Portugal is a great option. Of course, I would spend 15 days in Portugal by itself!

If you don't want too much moving around, stick with Spain and immerse yourself in just one culture.

Cheers,
Jan

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bordeaux was just a thought. What you say makes more sense. Diane
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 08:05 AM

I don't understand why a trip to the Bordeaux area wouldn't "mesh" with a trip to Spain. Fifteen days is ample time to sample some of each country. That said, you woudln't want to spend 5 days in the Bordeaux area, especially without a car. If you do have a car, there are plenty of things to see and do - Bordeaux itself merits at least a full day. So does the Arcachon Basin, with the Dune du Pilat and Cap Ferret. And another full day or more could easily be spent visiting some of the great Bordeaux vineyards.
Then you could make your way to the Spanish border via Bayonne, Biarritz, and St-Jean-de-Luz, all very much worthwhile destinations.
You could ditch the car north of the Spanish border and make your way to your destination in Spain by train.
Of course, you could spend all 15 days in Spain as well, but since you seem to have considered seeing both France and Spain on this trip, I don't see any reason why you can't.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Sinply because, IMHO, the culture and feel of the regions are so different. Why adulterate either of them with the other since they want a relaxing trip without too much moving arouond. Also, there is a very real chance of them thinking "I have done Spain and don't need to return" when that simply isn't true. Portugal has more of a similar feel to Spain so is not so much of a stretch. Still, I would vote for the full 15 days in Spain. They would get a better taste of the country and culture.

In their scheme of things, Bordeaux felt forced...unless of course,they got a great fare and just needed to fit it in.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 11:31 AM

I would have to agree..Spain or Spain and Portugal!! I always think people tend to stretch things too thin....15 days is probably including travel days too....this is definitely not too long a time for the one or two countries...actually it is not long enough. Those who rush thru places do not really know it..they only passed through!! You have to spend TIME in arreas to get to know and feel the counrty and the people. Take your time..stop and smell the flowers!!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 05:45 PM

If Bordeaux was chosen because of its wine area, Jerez might be a good alternative, and something different. I would leave France out of this trip.