Boppard Weinfest Lodging / transportation questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help from some experienced Fodorites. I've posted a month or so ago about my upcoming 'tag along on OH conference to Frankfurt' trip, and got great advice for where to daytrip on my own while he conferences and where to go with OH before and afterwards. I thought I had things all worked out, but then I realized that Boppard will be hosting its wine festival on one of the weekends, and we really want to go to it. Problem is... no lodging in Boppard for that night (September 24) that I can find.

So... I can book a room in Kamp-Bornghofen, which is close, but on the wrong side of the Rhine. Koblenz, which google tells me is about 20 mins away, is on the same side of the river. I currently have a room at the Schoenburg Castle in Oberwesel, on the same side of the river, BUT the rates include a dinner we might not eat because of the wine fest, and its also the furthest drive. The wine fest, from what I can tell since info is scarce and I don't speak/read German, is mainly a night time thing and the fireworks are supposed to be a highlight.

The problems then are - I don't know when the fireworks are, but it looks like the ferries across the Rhine stop earlier than I would have expected based on the ferry schedule. So while the Kamp-Bornghofen rooms are closest, that ferry crossing could get risky. I love the castle, but I don't think we would eat the dinner and its the furthest drive, and maybe its not worth the extra $$$ if we aren't doing the dinner? Koblenz doesn't seem to have the charm the other places have, but is there some other close lodging I'm missing? Koblenz also has hotels with generous cancellation policies (6pm the night of stay) so I could book one of those rooms and hope for a Boppard cancellation.

Thoughts? Ideas? Has anyone been to the Boppard weinfest? Is it worth it, or should I just plan my trip how I want it and forget about the festival?
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 04:15 PM

The small towns fill up fast on festival weekends.

You can return to Kamp-Bornhofen by train after the fireworks (which are scheduled for 8:45.) Don't know how long they last or if they start on time. There's a 21:21 and a 22:21 departure from Boppard that gets you to Koblenz in just under 20 minutes; after a 15-minute layover there you catch a second train to K-B (about 20 minutes.)

A hotel right at Koblenz station would be more convenient if a bit more dull. If your hotel isn't at the Koblenz station, then check the transit time from hotel to station - it might not take much longer to reach K-B by train instead. (Of course only you know whether the K-B hotel is near the K-B station, another concern.)

Mainz has rooms that night. Whether it's a good place to start your day on Sunday I can't say - depends on your plans.
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Fussgaenger. I probably should have mentioned in my original posting that we will have a rental car. Doesn't mean that we can't leave it at our lodging and take the train to/from Boppard, though. I hadn't thought of that since his car is paid for by his company, so its 'free' for us over the weekend, but the train makes a lot more sense, and lets both of us really enjoy the wine at the festival.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 12:45 PM

Hi Annalynn-

I just left Boppard last Thursday- for me driving around there was not a simple task. In fact I went out of my way to scout it out in the daytime a week before our reservation started. I will say this, most of the booking engines indicated that there were no vacancies. However, as we wandered around the riverfront, almost all of the hotels had zimmer frei signs up.

I would suggest that you hop a train from your digs in Frankfurt and travel to Boppard during the day ASAP. Wander the town along the riverfront and check into the availability for the nights you are interested. Also, the TI office might be able to help. I would certainly recommend that you DO NOT DRIVE the roads in or around Boppard after having a few glasses of wine.

I believe there are Rhine river cruises that you can take to and from Boppard for this event. That way you don't have to worry about driving or catching a late train. I have attended the winefest at Bad Durkheim several times but there w
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 12:52 PM

Hi Annalynn-

I just left Boppard last Thursday- for me driving around there was not a simple task. In fact I went out of my way to scout it out in the daytime a week before our reservation started. I will say this, most of the booking engines indicated that there were no vacancies. However, as we wandered around the riverfront, almost all of the hotels had zimmer frei signs up.

I would suggest that you hop a train from your digs in Frankfurt and travel to Boppard during the day ASAP. Wander the town along the riverfront and check into the availability for the nights you are interested. Also, the TI office might be able to help. I would certainly recommend that you DO NOT DRIVE the roads in or around Boppard after having a few glasses of wine.

I believe there are Rhine river cruises that you can take to and from Boppard for this event. Some are roundtrip from cities like Bingen. That way you don't have to worry about driving or catching a late train. I have attended the winefest at Bad Durkheim several times but there were no fireworks. I actually drove there once maaaany years ago and was lucky that the traffic was very light.

There are other festivals along the Rhine that may be easier to attend. Google Rhine in Flames.

Have a great trip!!!