Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Boppard, Cochem, Bacharach should we go there on route to Strasbourg?

Nov 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

In the middle of planning our trip to France & Italy next year.
We fly into Frankfurt arr. 6 am and was catching a train to Strasbourg (2 hrs). However after reading trip information on Fodors I was wondering whether to add a side trip to Boppard, Cochem etc for a few days before we move on to Strasbourg and the Alsace area where we will be spending 5 nights.

After Alsace we spend some time in Paris and then fly to Italy where the bulk of our trip will be. (We went to France for 4 weeks last year and loved it!)

Are we trying to do too much? Would it be worthwhile and easy to get to Strasbourg from Rhine area? Wasn't planning to hire a car until reaching Alsace, so we would be looking at trains from Frankfurt to Boppard area and then on to Strasbourg.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
Nov 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM

It's worth going to the Rhine/Mosel region if you have 3 days. 5 sounds like enougy for Alsace.

At the airport, go to the "Regionalbahnhof" statin, and get two tickets to Mainz (about 5-6 Euros each) from the local ticket machine ("RMV", the local transit authority.) From Mainz, you can get to Cochem or Boppard for 28 Euros on a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket - a daypass for up to 5 - just ride the regional trains. You can buy this ticket from a DB machine at FRA too (DB machines have an English option - yay.)

Use the "only local transport" option at the Bahn itinerary page to find said trains:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

The same daypass will get you all the way to Karlsruhe in the south when it's time to go to Strasbourg. It should be very cheap for a regular ticket between K'ruhe and S'bourg - they're pretty close.
Nov 5th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Just want to add my encouragement to go for a couple of days at least - Cochem and Bacharach and Goar were lovely (I was there in late September). Didn't go to Boppard - next time. Trains will take you almost anywhere in Germany. Enjoy the ride.
Nov 5th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies Russ and JoeCal.

Russ did you mean you can catch the train from Frankfurt airport to Mainz? - not going by the main city.

I did some searches for trains from Cochem and Karlsruhe to Strasbourg some good options. Can I buy the tickets online from Australia for German trains (I did with TGV last year)? Or just wait until there. Thankyou for the link.

Some questions about where to stay. Should I base us in one location and take day trips. If so which town I only mentioned Boppard as I had been reading about it. We will be there late September.
Nov 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM

"Russ did you mean you can catch the train from Frankfurt airport to Mainz? - not going by the main city."

Right. Frankfurt is east of FRA, Mainz west, so just directly to Mainz directly.

"I did some searches for trains from Cochem and Karlsruhe to Strasbourg some good options. Can I buy the tickets online from Australia for German trains (I did with TGV last year)? Or just wait until there."

I checked Boppard-K'ruhe-Strasbourg; It'll take roughly 4-5 hours to get there on a combination of slow and fast trains - there are no high-speed trains out of Boppard - and the regular fare will be 110-120 Euros for two. You can get advance-sale, capacity-controlled, discounted tickets for 58 Euros for two on certain trains at the DB site:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

But you can't purchase them until 92 days prior to use, and there are penalties if you need to refund them.

But if you stick to just the "slow" regional trains, it won't be much longer, if any, and you can both get there for about 60 Euros total with the R-P daypasses I mentioned previously (28 Euros to Karlsruhe plus about 32 Euros for two tix on regional trains from there to Strasbourg.) There's no need to buy these tickets in advance, and you can use them on any regional train for the day of purchase. You can get them in Boppard or in Cochem from a DB ticket machine.

"Some questions about where to stay. Should I base us in one location and take day trips. If so which town I only mentioned Boppard as I had been reading about it. We will be there late September."

I'd stay in one spot. Boppard is a good destination then - wine festivals in town on the weekends beginning 9/23 and 9/30/2011. It's easy to get from there over to Cochem for an outing by train. I like Cochem's atmosphere better than Boppard's, overall, but for a wine fest, I'm sure Boppard would be lively and fun. There are fireworks on Saturday nights, generally. Some photos: http://www.boppard.mittelrhein.net/r...est/index.html

I'd be sure to take a tour of Marksburg too - an easy train outing from Nearby Boppard with a change in Koblenz:

www.marksburg.de
Nov 6th, 2010, 05:48 AM

Another thought. If you had three days, consider renting a car for three days and drive to Cochem, with a stop at Burg Eltz. Stay Cochem for one night. Then drive the Mosel to Trier with stops at the towns along the Mosel. Two nights in Trier. You could do a day trip to Luxembourg city, about 25 miles away. Drop the car off in Trier and take the train to Strasbourg. A lot depends on how you react after getting off a plane. We are able to do long days, but we don't drive for longer than three hours. We have done the drive from Frankfurt to Cochem after our oversees flight.
Nov 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

iris1745 thanks for your ideas. I did think about the renting of a car. Was unsure as we would be coming off a 24hour flight and not sure about the jetlag, and getting our head into gear for driving on the righthand side of the road in unfamiliar traffic navigating out of Frankfurt.

Russ your train information is most helpful.

Russ and iris1745 I think a stay in Cochem may be better. DH is not keen to pack and unpack too many nights. We would be arriving on the 19th Sept, so Russ we would miss the wine festival in Boppard. Cochem looks smaller and I thought we could base there and use either trains or boats. I even like someones idea of hiring bikes and biking along the river.
Trier does seem to be popular amongst Fodorites. We are happy to walk and go on a whim for these days. But all suggestions are appreciated, for what to see and do in the area.

Does anyone have recommendations for accommodation in the Cochem area. I have read some suggestions to stay on the other side of the river. Is it only a 3 minute walk across the bridge?
Nov 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Hi again; Navagating out of the Frankfurt airport is easy. However, our flights are only a bit less that eight hours. Jetlag would be a problem. One night in Frankfurt might work. Then consider renting a car.
Nov 6th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Yes iris1745 the driving after a long flight does cause me concern, but I don't want to really waste a day in Frankurt as our flight gets in at 6am
Nov 6th, 2010, 03:49 PM

OK. Consider driving straight to Cochem for two nights. About a two hour drive. Get a GPS as we did get lost along the way. Then breakfast there and do a little sightseeing. Get in your room ASAP. Sleep for three or four hours and then continue sightseeing. Visit Burg Eltz the next day and have a relaxing dinner in Cochem. Then continue your journey along the Mosel to Trier. The towns along the Mosel are magical. Just our thought. Would love to get back to that region.
Nov 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks iris1745 I will look into your ideas
Nov 6th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Cochem's a great place to stay. I'd definitely look for a place in the old town for the best atmosphere - lots of cobblestones, narrow, tangled streets, and some good bakeries . the Alte Thorschenke gets lots of praise:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/altethorschenkecochem.html

And private B&B's like this one abound:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/hausand...chemmosel.html

When I'm there, I normally knock on the door of Frau Hilken at 20 Löhrstrasse, who has a tidy 3-room B&B and the most sumptuous breakfast I can remember having in Germany (no website, doesn't do English, but a great hostess.) A double runs about 40 Euros.

A lot of sun-deprived Germans prefer the more modern Cochem-Cond (across the bridge) for it's more advantageous sun angles. It's a few minutes walk, depending on where you're staying, into the old town area.

Reichsburg Castle has a modestly interesting tour, and there's an exceptionally good free-flight falconry show on the castle grounds:

http://www.falknerei-reichsburg-cochem.de/fotobuch.htm

Check out the chairlift ride as well:

http://www.mosel-reisefuehrer.de/Coc...n/default.html

There are 1-hour trips by boat to visit Beilstein, and an outing to Burg Eltz involves a short train ride to Moselkern and an nice walk from there:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/burgeltzfrommoselkern.html

Daytrips to Trier are easily accomplished by train; when you get off, you're only a few blocks from the Porta Nigra and the historic center of town. Again, the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket gets you there with no changes of train needed in 48 minutes on the Regional Express trains (RE) or an hour + a few on the milk-run (RB) trains each way for 28 Euros
Nov 6th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Hi; We stayed at the hotel Russ mentioned. Has mixed reviews on tripadvisor, but we loved the hotel. We had a window looking out at a narrow walkway. www.alte-thorschenke.de/en/hotel.htm
Nov 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Russ and iris thank you again for your replies and suggestions Cochem is now inked into the itinerary. I'm looking forward to our stay.

Yes the hotel Alte Thorschenke does have mixed reviews.I will look again at accommodations once the full itinerary is mapped out.
Nov 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM

We are also looking at using Cochem as a "base" to explore the surrounding region. Hopefully there are cruises up the river that we can take as well as whatever we can discover by train.

Like you, we arrive in at Frankfurt and have no real interest in staying in this city so will have to make our way, jet lagged to Cochem via train.

Please keep us posted as to how you get on!
Nov 7th, 2010, 01:08 AM

Hi msj; You should be able to get a day river cruise to Beilstein, a wonderful little town.
Nov 7th, 2010, 02:58 AM

"Yes the hotel Alte Thorschenke does have mixed reviews."

I hadn't checked in a while so I just went to T/A and was surprised to find that many of the more recent reviews of the Alte Thorschenke do indeed raise concerns. I've never liked the location on busy Endertstrasse, but everyone I've spoken with about the place has said noise was NOT a problem there. My sample of responders was very likely unrepresentative, it seems!

As far as noise goes, I would avoid hotels that look out over the river along the Moselpromenade, which gets a lot of traffic.

The Hotel Lohspeicher is perfectly located on Cochem's very pretty "pedestrians-only" market square in the middle of the old town, a block from the riverfront. Morning delivery trucks use the square, but only those, taxis, and the cars of residents in the immediate area drive this part of town. The family-run place has an attached restaurant with a reputation for excellent food. It gets exceptional reviews at bookings.com:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/de/rest...-64533&lang=en
Nov 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Russ thankyou for the link. Hotel Lohspeicher looks good I will investigate it further for dates etc. We like family run places and the restaurant looks good.