Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Bootcut jeans (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/bootcut-jeans-1085626/)

zoobiechick Feb 4th, 2016 04:58 PM

Bootcut jeans

This is a shallow question and it's just for fun and curiosity.

On a trip to England and France two years ago, I felt like literally the ONLY woman in either country wearing bootcut jeans. I felt a little self-conscious at times, but no big deal. In the US dark-washed bootcuts are considered flattering on older women.

I've been watching the show "Les Reines du Shopping" as part of my everyday French practice. The highly-esteemed fashion consultant who moderates the show suggested bootcut jeans to one of the French female contestants on the show, and I was surprised. The show aired in France last month (Jan 2016).

So, am I wrong or has the style spread to Europe? Do some French women wear bootcut jeans?

cynthia_booker Feb 4th, 2016 05:49 PM

You are wrong. French women wear whatever they want, with confidence. And besides, most older women are invisible no matter where they are, so it hardly matters what we wear.

Dukey1 Feb 4th, 2016 06:29 PM

"most older women are invisible no matter where they are, so it hardly matters what we wear."

I'm sorry but this does not sound healthy.

brubenow Feb 4th, 2016 06:35 PM

Boot-cut jeans are back.

http://www.vogue.com/13362874/bootcu...-denim-trends/

dreamon Feb 4th, 2016 06:43 PM

Not healthy but unfortunately too often true. It's a good thing then that we can dress to please ourselves.

When in Italy last year I noticed a woman striding down the street in bootcut jeans and boots - I noticed her because she looked fantastic. For women with hips, I think they are more flattering than straight leg jeans. Wear whatever style of jeans suit you best!

zoobiechick Feb 4th, 2016 07:00 PM

Maybe I brought bootcut to Europe! Hardy-har-har. Love every response. Come on, Cynthia, we're not getting older, we're getting better!

zoobiechick Feb 4th, 2016 07:09 PM

P$ Good article, brubenow. I thought they'd been back for a few years, but I live in the worst-dressed town in the US--Durango, CO--so what would I know?

Sarastro Feb 4th, 2016 08:27 PM

<i>most older women are invisible</i>

There could be advantages, particularly for older women shoplifters.

cynthia_booker Feb 4th, 2016 08:38 PM

I used to be bothered at the thought of being an invisible older woman, but now I dress to please myself, dress well but to suit myself, and really never am bothered by the thought that someone will think I am not in fashion, as they probably don't even see me. I am confident, comfortable, and happy. What else is important?

Tulips Feb 4th, 2016 08:40 PM

There are bootcut jeans in stores now, or perhaps more like a flare than bootcut - Topshop has them, so that must mean they're back in fashion :-)
Though the vast majority of jeans in shops are still skinny.

A couple of years ago you only saw skinny jeans on the street. These don't look good on everybody.

Christina Feb 5th, 2016 08:35 AM

That style is kind of over in the US and has been for some time.

Pepper_von_snoot Feb 5th, 2016 09:21 AM

It doesn't matter if clothing is in or out of style.

The only thing that matters is that the clothes you wear look good on you.

As Michael Kors has stated, "Those side pockets may be the trend right now, but what woman wants to make her hips look BIGGER?"

I don't care if it is Prada, Dior, Givenchy, or Nina Ricci, if it doesn't look good on you don't wear it.

Thin

VonVan Feb 5th, 2016 09:42 AM

Thin's words are some of the wisest I've seen on any "fashion" thread.

Kandace_York Feb 5th, 2016 02:59 PM

Maybe women of a certain age are considered "invisible" because we worry less about impressing other people and instead we wear what's comfortable, practical and attractive to ourselves.

If that's bootcut jeans, great. If it's something else, that's great, too. See how easy it is?

:-)

suze Feb 5th, 2016 03:02 PM

I always wear my normal clothes when I travel. I never thought to compare what I wear to what local women do.

sandralist Feb 5th, 2016 03:13 PM

Older women are not invisible in Italy. Not in Greece either, as I recall.

brubenow Feb 5th, 2016 05:13 PM

".That style is kind of over in the US and has been for some time."

It was over. But boot cut made a comeback in fall of '15.

Blueeyedcod Feb 5th, 2016 07:11 PM

Wow Cynthia_booker what a sad comment - it sounds very bitter. It's simply untrue by the way. Come to my neighbourhood in Southern Italy where women of all ages are noticed - not in a sleazy way - in a purely aesthetic way.

French women wear whatever they want and wear it with confidence and pizzazz. I love this book - and on page 108 it actually recommends wearing bootcut jeans - so go for it

https://www.bookdepository.com/Paris.../9781419706813

Pepper_von_snoot Feb 5th, 2016 07:39 PM

>Thin's words are some of the wisest.... <

I used to work for the designer Todd Oldham.

When I was with Todd, I used to fly to London on the Concord with Suzy Menkes and Isabella Blow as my seatmates.

Thin

Marsh Feb 5th, 2016 08:14 PM

I am tired of seeing older women wearing leggings! Most of them have thin legs but large torsos and it is not a good look.