Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Books to read for Greek Islands? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/books-to-read-for-greek-islands-942327/)

Tommmo Jul 10th, 2012 03:37 PM

Books to read for Greek Islands?

Off to the island soon and always love to read good books about the area I'm in. Nothing too heavy or too shallow either , but ones to put you in the picture with your new experiences and enhance the leisure hours....
thank you.

brotherleelove2004 Jul 10th, 2012 04:03 PM

"Nights Of Rain And Stars" by Maeve Binchy

Bettina222 Jul 10th, 2012 04:14 PM

I second that suggestion!

Mimar Jul 10th, 2012 04:25 PM

Which island?

How about The King Must Die and The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault -- about the Theseus legend but not at all musty, very readable.

Tommmo Jul 10th, 2012 04:34 PM

Thanks....we will be in Sifnos, Paros,Santorini,Rhodes and Samos this Sept/Oct

latedaytraveler Jul 10th, 2012 06:48 PM

Tom, do not underestimate the ILLIAD and the ODYSSEY…

Heimdall Jul 11th, 2012 12:11 AM

If you can find it (long out of print) Fionnuala Brennan's book <i>On a Greek Island</i> is a wonderful account of an Irish family's life on Paros in the 70s. She and her husband quit their jobs and took their two children with them to Greece, looking for the perfect island on which to live. The book describes Paros in the days before mass tourism, when even electricity and running water weren't necessities.

I have a treasured copy at home, and believe amazon.com still has used copies for sale. :-)

colonna Jul 11th, 2012 06:06 AM

Reflections on a Marine Venus (Lawrence Durrell, about Rhodes)

The Magus

Ackislander Jul 11th, 2012 12:24 PM

Books by ANY of the Durrell family, Patrick Leigh Fermor's wartime memoirs (captured the German commandant of Crete while posing as a peasant).

brotherleelove2004 Jul 11th, 2012 12:38 PM

There's a copy of "On a Greek Island" for sale right now on eBay.

grandmere Jul 11th, 2012 02:55 PM

The Cretan Runner, account of the German occupation of Crete.
Dinner with Persephone, by Patricia Storace, about Greece in general, not necessarily the islands, but certainly worthwhile reading.

Tommmo Jul 11th, 2012 04:20 PM

There was a graphic description of the German occupation and the General's kidnapping and the reprisals on Crete on Joanna Lumley's Greek Oddysey -the new tv series recently.
thanks for some good book suggestions....please keep 'em coming!

clausar Jul 11th, 2012 04:33 PM

Tommmo you made a good point here !!
Watching Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey is the best way to prepare a trip to Greece.
She has approached Greece with lots of love and respect, i just love her series. ( found it on you tube)

Tommmo Jul 11th, 2012 06:37 PM

I wish she'd visited more islands though, seems there could have been much more of Greece to feature....

littlejane Jul 17th, 2012 12:02 AM

The Island by Victoria Hislop - situated in the old leper colony of Spinalonga off Crete - definitely not too heavy :-)

mariha2912 Jul 17th, 2012 12:32 PM

On my opinion Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis is a must and a very pleasant reading too.

Tommmo Jul 17th, 2012 04:56 PM

...and a Classic film of course with Anthony Quinn!

sheila Jul 19th, 2012 07:06 AM

Captain Corelli's mandolin; The Moonspinners; This Rough Magic; The Praise Singer; The Golden Fleece; and my current favourites- Paul Johnston's Alex Mavros books

Mimar Jul 19th, 2012 07:48 AM

Sheila, which Golden Fleece? Who wrote it? There are several at amazon.com.

You reminded me of many old favorites. I'm sure I'd like this one too.

FoFoBT Jul 19th, 2012 07:50 AM

Another Mary Renault fan. A good chunk of The Praise Singer takes place on Samos.