Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   booking Villa Borghese is it necessary? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/booking-villa-borghese-is-it-necessary-679953/)

64kerry Feb 15th, 2007 12:31 AM

booking Villa Borghese is it necessary?

Hi I know we have to prebuy villa borghese tickets. we will be in Paris in April for 6 days. could we buy a ticket on day 1 or 2 for day 4? I don't really want to be prebuying tickets etc while still in Australia just in case we cant get to the villa for some reason. when you buy a ticket is it for a particular day and date? I don't like being too regimented while on holidays just go with the mood of the day. thanks

64kerry Feb 15th, 2007 12:37 AM

silly me!! villa borghese is in Rome what an idiot. first time traveller all these monuments, museums Im getting confused. we wil be in Rome end of May (Paris end of April).

missypie Feb 15th, 2007 06:18 AM

Do you still need an answer? I consider the Galleria Borghese a "must see." DO buy your tickets in advance.

Dukey Feb 15th, 2007 06:24 AM

I've visited this "museum" twice and enjoyed it both times.

I think the necessity of booking ahead depends, somewhat, on the time of year. Some folks have actually been successful at having their prospective hotel make the booking on their behalf.

If you feel the place is an absolute must-see and have a particular time slot in mind then I see no reason why you shouldn't book it ahead since that will be one less thing to worry about.

kopp Feb 15th, 2007 06:28 AM

Hello 64kerry,

Making a reservation for the Borghese Gallery is quite easy and does not require pre-payment. You choose the date and time, they send you a confirmation via email, then you just show up 30 minutes before and pay then.

There is no charge if you don't show up. However, if you don't show up 30 minutes prior, your reservation will be cancelled.

Hope this helps.

SusanP Feb 15th, 2007 06:32 AM

I would definitely book it before you leave home. I have been there in both March and December, both times they were sold out.

CRAZY4TRAVEL Feb 15th, 2007 06:44 AM

It is necessary to book in advance. They limit the number of visitors per day and the museum sells out several days to several weeks in advance in some cases. While we were standing in line, they were telling people that they were booked up for the next 10 days. That was last May.

sandi_travelnut Feb 15th, 2007 06:53 AM

We went to Rome and I failed to book in advance. We went to the museum to see if we could still get in but could not. We went ahead and bought tickets for another day. If you don't book ahead, you could enjoy a stroll thru the beautiful gardens, buy your ticket and return another day to do the museum itself.

SusanP Feb 15th, 2007 06:56 AM

The point is, sandi's method might not work, because as crazy4travel said, sometimes they are fully booked days or weeks in advance. I also heard them tell people that they were fully booked for the next 5 days, which of course was going to be after those people left Rome. Why take the chance?

sandi_travelnut Feb 15th, 2007 07:24 AM

very true. I guess we were lucky.

64kerry Feb 15th, 2007 12:15 PM

thank you all for great information especially that I don't have to pay over the internet. I will book tickets today. appreciate the info. kerry

kopp Feb 15th, 2007 12:33 PM

Hello again 64kerry,

Do not fret if you go to the website and you find that bookings for April cannot be made yet. As of this morning, they were only listing reservations available through March.

Probably towards the end of this month or just into March will they start the April bookings. Keep checking. It will eventually show April.

64kerry Feb 15th, 2007 03:00 PM

thanks kopp for info have found that with another place in San Franciso(first stop before Europe). I want tickets to night tour of Alcatraz island and they are not released yet for April. will put villa borghese tickets in the still to do folder also!!

CRAZY4TRAVEL Feb 16th, 2007 06:05 AM

We could only book 1 month prior to arrival on the website. I attempted to email and they simply said wait until it is available to book online.